Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Crazy Composer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
But there is no substance behind it. It is all marketing and bullsh*t. Those people should then have become artists and writers. No place for them in the technology sector.
Your incredibly wrong... it has immense weight in the technology sector. From your smart phone to your car to your refrigerator. You canít market a product that doesnít exist.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
I don't either. I don't know why you're being so contentious?
I'm not? Just expressing my opinion buddy
Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Crazy Composer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'm not? Just expressing my opinion buddy
My apologies, due to the nature of the written text I have miss interpreted your tone.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
As a designer myself, I find it really interesting and enjoyable when projects show they're roots. In my opinion America is just known for Pickups and Jeeps. Seem to have lost their own statement on cars and SUVs.
But that's the thing; how do you determine what the "root" of a car is anymore? Is it just the HQ of the manufacturer, even if the design studio is located in a totally different country (and presumably located in another country specifically so that the designer could find new sources of inspiration)? Is it the place of assembly? Is it predicted biggest market for a model?

Once the design becomes more production feasible, it cannot be divorced from market forces and engineering requirements, especially w/ something as complex as a car.

I think America is as well known for the Corvette, Camaro, and Mustang, as much as it is for pickups and Jeeps (esp since a manufacturer like MB/Daimler is as well known for 4x4 and industrial trucks as it is luxury sedans). This Blazer has a definite connection, for better or worse, w/ the Camaro.

I think, of all the makes, only JLR really nails the heritage aspect w/ their designs. Mazda is moving in that direction w/ their interiors (esp the CX-9 and redesigned 6). I mean, even the most Teutonic of German makes (MB) doesn't really make designs that are particularly German to me, esp in the way the car operates (have you tried opening the door and slamming the door of a current gen C-Class?).
Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
...In my opinion America is just known for Pickups and Jeeps...
Yeah...forget Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers....no recognizable heritage at all there.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Let's also not ignore the fact that there is no such thing as "American" design, or German, Korean, etc. Any designer will tell you that most automotive designs are now collaborative, international efforts with studios across the globe, and most are minimizing their efforts and creating global products. The automotive market has become one-size-fits-all with this melting pot attitude.

New Beetle and the Miata are examples of cars designed in the U.S., mainly FOR the U.S.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
Let's also not ignore the fact that there is no such thing as "American" design, or German, Korean, etc. Any designer will tell you that most automotive designs are now collaborative, international efforts with studios across the globe, and most are minimizing their efforts and creating global products. The automotive market has become one-size-fits-all with this melting pot attitude.
Well with all that being international is true, I'd still sya that there are cars that look distinctively "German" (probably closest to what some see as Euro Style), "British"(even when technically tehre is only Morgan left in British hands) or "Italian" (Europe after all is not one culture), as well as typically "American" (even if they are not a truck or muscle car) or "Japanese" (or would anyone confuse a Lexus or anime like Toyota Aygo for an American or German car?); And I love every single design that has a character of it's own; Hyundai/Kia is probably more catering regional differences in design (European Hyundai look more "German" or "French" than the ones in the US, that seem to follow more the successful Japanese cars in the US), and this is successful as well, and at least Kia has already established nevertheless an own design theme (probably that can be described as Korean at best), and it even influences new BMWs, e.g. ;)

I do have the impression that despite a more globalized market, some "special character" is what helps sell cars, especially to private customers or more premium products. And then there are of course many "one design fits all tastes" cars, that probably also are very average engineering wise, and well, if they ain't the cheapest, then they don't sell either...