Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I imagine it might make more sense in real life. I really never understand why manufacturers bury the ignition near the steering column, anyway.

What I find confusing is why the silver part says "START STOP," when there's a second part of the button that's the "off" button....
Idk, it seems like it could've been finished very similar to the right side of the vents. It's like they ran out of time and just threw a piece of plastic on their.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
What I find confusing is why the silver part says "START STOP," when there's a second part of the button that's the "off" button....
The off button is for the auto engine start/stop, ie when the engine shuts down whenever the car comes to a stop, which some people find annoying and turn off.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I imagine it might make more sense in real life. I really never understand why manufacturers bury the ignition near the steering column, anyway.

The big button is the ignition.
The bottom part 'off' activates the stop/start function when the engine stops at red lights
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
The off button is for the auto engine start/stop, ie when the engine shuts down whenever the car comes to a stop, which some people find annoying and turn off.
Thanks for the clarification (to you both). I guess it makes sense to put it there, since people might want to turn off the auto stop/start right away?

@pjl35: maybe they thought black plastic would hide finger prints better (and having additional silver trim maybe wouldn't be high-contrast enough?)?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 AM
The Lurker

This will sell very well. I've hated the X3 up until now. It doesn't looks awkward and cheap anymore. It's somewhat generic, but premium. I'm not sure about the front bumper treatment on both the M and non M versions. The standard model has weird silver/fake brushed chrome accents that look weirdly disjointed. Otherwise the rest is fine. Typical BMW interior, which is actually growing on me (looks very well put together and tasteful).
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Rather crazy to think that this X3 is now just as large as the original X5, if not slightly larger.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:

The black bit of the button is the bit to switch off the 'stop start' system, whereas the white,circular bit is to 'start stop' the engine.

You do have to wonder if it's the, famous, Germanic sense of humour shining through in that arrangement.......
Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Rather crazy to think that this X3 is now just as large as the original X5, if not slightly larger.
Leaves way for the long rumored and almost fabled X7 to compete directly with the Cadillac Escalade.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The headlamps no longer touch the kidneys (not like it needs 2 anymore, its just so in-Active) which seemed to be BMW's new defining feature starting back in 2013.

The pre facelift second generation X5, pre facelift X6 and the original X5 were by far the best of BMW's SUV designs.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
The 1st gen X3 is only 4 inches shorter than the 1st gen X5 and less than an inch narrower, this explains how quickly it took for it to grow into the size of the first X5.

The first X3 was a tad longer than the 3-series of that time, the first gen X5 was almost half a foot shorter than the E39 5-series of that time.