Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The self-appointed conscience has spoken!
You're really disproving my point
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Come on guys, car's been cancelled, nothing will happen. Time out and let's move on
Not sure what you're on about, CD6 in definitely not cancelled.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Not sure what you're on about, CD6 in definitely not cancelled.
The Mondeo/Fusion is not cancelled?

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
The Mondeo/Fusion is not cancelled?
The Fusion/Mondeo is cancelled and rides on the CD4 which is an AWD platform meaning it can be FWD or RWD based on how you disengage 2 of the driven wheels. [A transverse, front-mounted engine with RWD would give an "all new" crossover a tremendous packaging advantage that a conventional RWD platform would not have.]

As for the Fusdeo, Ford no doubt is rethinking having 4 large sedans: Taurus, Fusdeo, MKZ, and Continental.

For the USA, killing the Taurus, Fusion, and MKZ while importing the Chinese Taurus would be a genius move.

CD6 is another story.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
The Fusion/Mondeo is cancelled and rides on the CD4 which is an AWD platform meaning it can be FWD or RWD based on how you disengage 2 of the driven wheels. [A transverse, front-mounted engine with RWD would give an "all new" crossover a tremendous packaging advantage that a conventional RWD platform would not have.]

As for the Fusdeo, Ford no doubt is rethinking having 4 large sedans: Taurus, Fusdeo, MKZ, and Continental.

For the USA, killing the Taurus, Fusion, and MKZ while importing the Chinese Taurus would be a genius move.

CD6 is another story.
I think 4 are indeed too many, the Fusion and Chinese Taurus would indeed be too close; I'm fine with a (hopefully renamed) MKZ and a properly luxo Contiental, but the general Camry/Avalon or Sonata/Azzera gap is IMO too small to be relevant in the long term, even in teh US, where the 2 sizes still sell (for the moment); A proper large FWD/AWD sedan, that serves as a "Fusdeo" (sounds a bit like a name for a new US only Volkswagen ;)) in the Western markets and Taurus in LWB shape for China would IMO still be a relevant enough player globally,especially if development budgets are concentrated on that one model;
Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

So...is the Mondeo still happening for rest of the world? That's what i am confused about...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
So...is the Mondeo still happening for rest of the world? That's what i am confused about...
If they really cancel the US version, i highly doubt that, given China has the Taurus tailored to their taste, and European volume alone (plus you few unlucky Ford customers down under) will hardly justify a stand alone D-segment sedan volume wise; If the current model is rally the end of the line for Ford sedans, my guess is they speculate that customers will either chose the larger Focus or buy an Escape/Kuga or Edge anyway...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
If they really cancel the US version, i highly doubt that, given China has the Taurus tailored to their taste, and European volume alone (plus you few unlucky Ford customers down under) will hardly justify a stand alone D-segment sedan volume wise; If the current model is rally the end of the line for Ford sedans, my guess is they speculate that customers will either chose the larger Focus or buy an Escape/Kuga or Edge anyway...
Sadly it seems so...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
A transverse, front-mounted engine with RWD would give an "all new" crossover a tremendous packaging advantage that a conventional RWD platform would not.
What is the packaging advantage of such a layout compared to a conventional layout?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What is the packaging advantage of such a layout compared to a conventional layout?
Well a traverse mounted engine simply needs less length in the engine bay, thus making that one more compact, and giving more of the overal length to the passenger compartment. In theory. however, I don't know of any front traverse engine RWD car, as the whole transfer box ads to the engine size, takin some of the gain away, adding weight that is not necessary ion a simple "classic RWD layout", and as there is a transmission tunnel and a rear differential, the other packaging benefits of a FWD car is lost anyway; Also, a traverse engine/transfer box unit has a less favorable weight distribution than a modern RWD car, plus one more time directing power output by 90 degrees adds drive train loss as well, so with the added mechanical complexity , I guess the remaining advantages are outweighed, and thus we haven't yet seen that layout. Cost wise, I guess making any traverse engine 4wd is basically a no cost option compared to making it RWD only...