Tires: Hoosier

ENGINE
Type: Cast Iron V-8
Displacement: 358 cubic inches
Compression Ratio: 12:1
Induction System: 830 cfm 4-barrel
Horsepower: 850 hp @ 9,000 rpm
Torque: 550 ft. lbs. @ 7,500 rpm

Last edited by chef211; 08-08-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Stop. Seriously. You need to stop making a chop a day, and really take some time to hone your skills.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Stop. Seriously. You need to stop making a chop a day, and really take some time to hone your skills.
AMEN!

There are some good choppers on here and no one can hope to be as amazing as Theophilus Chin or Art and Color on his first chops, but there are choppers here who have started off admittedly shaky and over time have become quite adept. That was what I was saying when I brought this up a while ago and that is what 2o6 is saying now.

For 2o6 and me to be on the same page is unique given that we spar as much or more than we agree, but he is correct in challenging you to stop shot-gunning chops and do one at a time WELL.

I teach composition for a living and writing an essay a day will not make a student a better essay writer. Like a well-written essay, a good chop is 1 part creation and 99 parts sweating the details with a dogged pursuit of prefection.

In this section, we're also not interested in the press releases. We're interested in "targeted vision" like Theo's clean up of the Jaguar XJ he did "for me" to shut me up. What Theo created was what Jaguar would do if they were ridding the XJ of it giant hatchback look. When "Art" brings his "targeted vision" to his reinvention of the classics, the result takes the vision of the designer and interprets it in a new way that is immediately believable. In both cases (and in all the other choppers who post here) there is a concerted attempt to make the cars look real.

A good chop should not look like it was made by cutting images with scissors from a magazine and gluing them together.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
AMEN!

There are some good choppers on here and no one can hope to be as amazing as Theophilus Chin or Art and Color on his first chops, but there are choppers here who have started off admittedly shaky and over time have become quite adept. That was what I was saying when I brought this up a while ago and that is what 2o6 is saying now.

For 2o6 and me to be on the same page is unique given that we spar as much or more than we agree, but he is correct in challenging you to stop shot-gunning chops and do one at a time WELL.

I teach composition for a living and writing an essay a day will not make a student a better essay writer. Like a well-written essay, a good chop is 1 part creation and 99 parts sweating the details with a dogged pursuit of prefection.

In this section, we're also not interested in the press releases. We're interested in "targeted vision" like Theo's clean up of the Jaguar XJ he did "for me" to shut me up. What Theo created was what Jaguar would do if they were ridding the XJ of it giant hatchback look. When "Art" brings his "targeted vision" to his reinvention of the classics, the result takes the vision of the designer and interprets it in a new way that is immediately believable. In both cases (and in all the other choppers who post here) there is a concerted attempt to make the cars look real.

A good chop should not look like it was made by cutting images with scissors from a magazine and gluing them together.
Firstr of all, I've been doing 1-2 chops a day too and only a couple parts were taken from different images and these are my ideas so I just make them up in my head. A lots of the parts were taken from the same image.

Last edited by chef211; 08-08-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Raconteur

Doesn't change the fact that you're doing too many low-grade chops as opposed to trying to one one high-grade one. Why NOT target quality???
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Doesn't change the fact that you're doing too many low-grade chops as opposed to trying to one one high-grade one. Why NOT target quality???
Well how am I going to get a lot done within the 2 weeks I go back to school.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Chef: In your remaining 2 weeks before school starts again, how about deciding to learn one new thing in each chop, in whatever program you use?

Personally, I used Photoshop in my job for years before I chopped my first car. But I used it to color-correct images for books, to resize images for production, to colorize b/w photos, to "color-in" b/w line drawing maps, etc. I had never used Photoshop to alter images like one has to do in chopping cars. With each chop, I decided I'd learn a new way to do the altering, ie feathering selections so they blend, how to manipulate the brush tools, how to fade each action, how to add textures for depth, etc.

Instead of doing several images exactly the same way as you have, without learning anything new each time. how about spending a bit of time "bettering" each image from the last one you did? Look at each finished image of yours, decide what isn't quite "right" about it and find out how to correct just that part on your next chop. Read the "how tos" in your program, or just use Google to find "User Groups" in your program, and research how to do things you might not know how to do. Google is REALLY powerful these days. You can type in questions such as "How do I change the color in my selection using Paint" or "How can I blend my selections in GIMP?" etc. I'd look up "resolution" to start with, learn exactly what pixels are, how they relate to image size onscreen, and check the resolution of each image you draw from so they match. Learn about how to blend your various parts, usually called "feathering." Learn about "layering" and "transparencies" etc. There are a MILLION and one things you can do in Photoshop, and while I'm not familiar with Paint or GIMP, I'm sure there are almost as many things to learn in those programs. Think of the actual production work needed in creating your chops, in addition to your very creative ideas for the car itself.

And your creativity is quite obvious to everyone here! I don't know anything about racing, so I don't really know what most of your chops are all about, but I think you show a lot of promise. Don't take the criticisms as saying "stop what you're doing" but rather, it's time to grow in your hobby. I think you might find that once you really get a high-quality chop under your belt, the feeling will be contagious and you'll actually enjoy creating your version of real cars even more than you do now.

Happy chopping and Onward and Upward!
-casey

My car chop blog:
http://artandcolourcars.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest board for my chops:
http://pinterest.com/artandcolour/my...gn-renderings/

Last edited by artandcolour; 08-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artandcolour View Post
Chef: In your remaining 2 weeks before school starts again, how about deciding to learn one new thing in each chop, in whatever program you use?

Personally, I used Photoshop in my job for years before I chopped my first car. But I used it to color-correct images for books, to resize images for production, to colorize b/w photos, to "color-in" b/w line drawing maps, etc. I had never used Photoshop to alter images like one has to do in chopping cars. With each chop, I decided I'd learn a new way to do the altering, ie feathering selections so they blend, how to manipulate the brush tools, how to fade each action, how to add textures for depth, etc.

Instead of doing several images exactly the same way as you have, without learning anything new each time. how about spending a bit of time "bettering" each image from the last one you did? Look at each finished image of yours, decide what isn't quite "right" about it and find out how to correct just that part on your next chop. Read the "how tos" in your program, or just use Google to find "User Groups" in your program, and research how to do things you might not know how to do. Google is REALLY powerful these days. You can type in questions such as "How do I change the color in my selection using Paint" or "How can I blend my selections in GIMP?" etc. I'd look up "resolution" to start with, learn exactly what pixels are, how they relate to image size onscreen, and check the resolution of each image you draw from so they match. Learn about how to blend your various parts, usually called "feathering." Learn about "layering" and "transparencies" etc. There are a MILLION and one things you can do in Photoshop, and while I'm not familiar with Paint or GIMP, I'm sure there are almost as many things to learn in those programs. Think of the actual production work needed in creating your chops, in addition to your very creative ideas for the car itself.

And your creativity is quite obvious to everyone here! I don't know anything about racing, so I don't really know what most of your chops are all about, but I think you show a lot of promise. Don't take the criticisms as saying "stop what you're doing" but rather, it's time to grow in your hobby. I think you might find that once you really get a high-quality chop under your belt, the feeling will be contagious and you'll actually enjoy creating your version of real cars even more than you do now.

Happy chopping and Onward and Upward!
-casey
Somehow the colorized feature is messed up all the time and don't get a realistic.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

then figuring out why you can't get your "paint" to be realistic would be a place to start your research. Believe me, there is a way around every digital obstacle in your way. The beautiful part of the digital world is that there are several, even numerous, ways to accomplish each goal.

No one ever said it was going to be easy! Creating such altered images, and making them look realistic, is one of the most difficult parts of digital creation. You've chosen a difficult hobby, but one that will help you in the digital image world should you ever choose to go down that path professionally. There are classes and online tutorials you can invest in as well. Believe me, there are a lot more people that say they are "experts" in this field than there really are. If you treat each chop as a "lesson" and hone your skills every single time you open up the program, then you will be well on your way.

My car chop blog:
http://artandcolourcars.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest board for my chops:
http://pinterest.com/artandcolour/my...gn-renderings/
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artandcolour View Post
then figuring out why you can't get your "paint" to be realistic would be a place to start your research. Believe me, there is a way around every digital obstacle in your way. The beautiful part of the digital world is that there are several, even numerous, ways to accomplish each goal.

No one ever said it was going to be easy! Creating such altered images, and making them look realistic, is one of the most difficult parts of digital creation. You've chosen a difficult hobby, but one that will help you in the digital image world should you ever choose to go down that path professionally. There are classes and online tutorials you can invest in as well. Believe me, there are a lot more people that say they are "experts" in this field than there really are. If you treat each chop as a "lesson" and hone your skills every single time you open up the program, then you will be well on your way.
Is this photo a good color base.
http://custom.netcarshow.com/Lotus/2...Concept/0d.htm