Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
CLS 53 AMG to be introduced next month (rumored to be a V6 turbo hybrid with 4MATIC AWD)
Given how raw and muscle car like AMG started, a V6 hybrid AWD sounds a bit too tame and refined (I mean this drive train also describes a Lexus RX450h)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Given how raw and muscle car like AMG started, a V6 hybrid AWD sounds a bit too tame and refined (I mean this drive train also describes a Lexus RX450h)
but then again you have a Panamera turbo hybrid that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds and nearly 700hp. Hybrid AMGs are inevitable, and a good thing given I have yet to drive a downsized turbo that truly has no turbo lag.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
but then again you have a Panamera turbo hybrid that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds and nearly 700hp. Hybrid AMGs are inevitable, and a good thing given I have yet to drive a downsized turbo that truly has no turbo lag.
I know that, but unlike the "muscle car big engine and smoking it's rear tires under a brutal raw scream" AMG, Porsches have always had a different character of being fast from comparably smaller engines(a 911 never had more than 6 cylinders, with comparably small displacements), and speed had always been before drama, so a hybrid sports car kind of fits Porsche more than AMG,e specially after the 918;

That said, it is inevitable somehow that all different concepts end up with a small displaced, likely hybrid assisted engine and AWD, to keep drag race bragging rights and be the king of you tube quater mile videos...
Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps yeah

But word on the street is that MB did it that way in order to prevent it from competiting with the AMG GT4 sedan/saloon that they are working on.........
Old 12-15-2017, 10:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Perhaps yeah

But word on the street is that MB did it that way in order to prevent it from competiting with the AMG GT4 sedan/saloon that they are working on.........
That is possible, but kind of then refreshes my question form the AMG GT sedan thread, how exactly it makes sense to have 2 E-Class based 4 door coupe sedans? Given how the design of the CLS hasn't really moved on, and on the inside it lost it's stand alone interior (even though the shared E-Class unit is a very nice place to be in), IMO it would have made sense to replace the CLS with the car that will be the AMG GT4 altogether.

In a similar was, the positioning of the AMG ST and Mercedes SL also makes little sense, and the AMG mostly cannibalizes the SL Roadster, even though - unlike the 4 door coupe sedans - they don't even share their platform.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
That is possible, but kind of then refreshes my question form the AMG GT sedan thread, how exactly it makes sense to have 2 E-Class based 4 door coupe sedans? Given how the design of the CLS hasn't really moved on, and on the inside it lost it's stand alone interior (even though the shared E-Class unit is a very nice place to be in), IMO it would have made sense to replace the CLS with the car that will be the AMG GT4 altogether.

In a similar was, the positioning of the AMG ST and Mercedes SL also makes little sense, and the AMG mostly cannibalizes the SL Roadster, even though - unlike the 4 door coupe sedans - they don't even share their platform.
given how similar the CLS styling ended up being to the AMG 4 door concept I'm hopeful that the concept was in fact a precursor to the new CLS but that would be too logical for Mercedes so I'm probably wrong.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:57 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
IMO it would have made sense to replace the CLS with the car that will be the AMG GT4 altogether.
Yes, but... the CLS and E-Class are so similar (except for the new engine) that every CLS sold is prob pure profit. So, from a business perspective, it's probably like, "Why NOT make a CLS?" After all, Audi has an A4 sedan, wagon, sportback, and coupe, and apparently they sell enough of each to make it worth their while to con't making them all.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/new...53-models.html

AMG CLS 53;

Using an starter/aletrnator generator, that can produce additional 21hp for a brief moment, so more like a KERS system than a traditional hybrid; Petrol engine is a twin turbo 3l inline 6, altogetehr making 435hp; Driving all 4 wheels;
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

i know this is minor, but important on a sports car: they finally got rid of those absurd fake quad exhaust tips on all the 43 models! It's the little things... Maybe Audi will follow suite on the SQ5, which is possibly the worst offender.