Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, I have more gripes with this new Edge than likes. I like the styling in the rear, interior layout is good as well. But that front end just does not bond with me at all. Seems somewhat disconnected from the rest of the car. I don't know if its too many angles going in all sorts of directions, but it does not look as elegant as the model it replaces. I was really impressed when Ford facelifted the Edge during the midcycle update.

My only other gripe is the center console. Ford gambled big time on capacitive (no tactile feedback buttons, i.e. iPhone) technology but no one liked it or got used to it. The console in this new edge looks like a derivative of the old console, but now with awkwardly looking buttons all over the place. 2014 just seems more cohesive and 2015 has some dead real estate on the console that could have been utilized better. Pics below do not illustrate the point well enough, but I did not want to plaster hi-res pictures.
2014 Edge

2015 Edge (Ford Media image on the left, Autoblog image on the right)
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Agreed. Looking at the interior side by side, I also would have a hard time deciding which interior is, in fact, found in the 2nd generation vs. the 1st. They look as though they could've been found on two different vehicles at the same time (back in 2011).

I much preferred the center console layout of the concept. It looks as though there is no way to change the vent settings besides the touchscreen in the production version...

It's also interesting that the concept appears to have had Lincoln MKZ/MKC-style gauges.

Last edited by pjl35; 06-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM
The Lurker

You can change the vent settings on the lower console. Dual temp and fan speed buttons there. Same as the concept layout.

The problem with the console is the shape of the buttons. They're just circles. Essentially hard buttons of the capacitive style from last gen, which look better because naturally seamless smooth surfaces have a more futuristic look. They should have kept the button shapes from the concept.

Other than that, it's a very modern tidy interior. If you can't tell which interior is newer between the new and old gen, you need glasses. The old one has typical soft lines and edges, plasticy looking steering wheel, generic console shape. Newer Fords have bolder/more dynamic lines inside. Vertical vents help that look too. Less matte silver plastic + shaped vents = win/win
Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
You can change the vent settings on the lower console. Dual temp and fan speed buttons there. Same as the concept layout.

The problem with the console is the shape of the buttons. They're just circles. Essentially hard buttons of the capacitive style from last gen, which look better because naturally seamless smooth surfaces have a more futuristic look. They should have kept the button shapes from the concept.

Other than that, it's a very modern tidy interior. If you can't tell which interior is newer between the new and old gen, you need glasses. The old one has typical soft lines and edges, plasticy looking steering wheel, generic console shape. Newer Fords have bolder/more dynamic lines inside. Vertical vents help that look too. Less matte silver plastic + shaped vents = win/win
And they got rid of that dumb wood plastic garbage.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
And they got rid of that dumb wood plastic garbage.
Not just any dumb wood plastic garbage, vertically oriented dumb wood plastic garbage.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post

I'm not talking about temp and fan speed, I'm talking about which vents are open and which are closed (footwells, torso, etc.) that would be controlled by the Volvo-esque buttons in the center of the concept's console. I don't see anything like that in the production version: just temp and fan speed.

Also, I did not say that I couldn't tell them apart--I said that you can't necessarily tell that one is 5 years newer than the other because one doesn't really scream "brand new" compared to the other one. Matter of opinion so we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by pjl35; 06-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
CSS Oldtimer

It looks nice enough and will sell well. The proportions seem much better, very sporty and planted for the class. Like turbonium, though, I'm not a fan of the front end.

As for the interior - big improvement over the current one, to be sure, but this interior is going to be more-or-less transplanted into the S-Max (going by the concepts which have identical architectures, if different details), and in that situation I'm not sure how well it will stack up to the Sharan or upcoming new Espace. The center stack seems a bit plasticky and toy-like, almost, though the physical buttons are a welcome return to form.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 AM

Im trying to work out why I dont like the front. I think the headlights are too big. If they were slimmer it would like a lot better
Old 11-19-2014, 04:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/for...t-version.html

A longer 7 seat version previewed, so far only for China
Old 11-19-2014, 05:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Hmm. They can keep this one. Would be way too much overlap here with the Explorer.