CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Yahoo! Autos Worst Cars of the 2000's

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-of-the-2000s/

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Generally wuite agreeable, just the SMart ForTwo is IMO more a "hate it or love it" car than the worst automobile.

Yes, for highway cruising in the states it's crap, but that's not what it was meant for. And asESP is standard, it won't roll over more likely than the average small car in the US typically without ESP.

Personally I think that whoever has driven it in a dense city center, will recognize the genius of it. In this special case. it's perfect. Just think "parking everywhere" (ofcourse as long as it's legal in general)
Old 10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I agree on your view of the Smart ForTwo mick78 but i was surprised that they did not criticize it for its price as well. Are they cheap in NA, compared to other cars? Cause where i live a Smart ForTwo cabrio (yeah, right) costs more than 17,500 euros which is LUDICROUS!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Absolutely. Actually, I consider price the main criticism on the Smart, of course, considering it's a Mercedes product (even if it doesn't feel like that in many areas) that's no wonder. Even if a naked base model is not really expensive, in best Mercedes tradition, adding a few options (and many of them are nice or must haves), price climbs rapidly, making it costly.

Then again, I think people who want a Smart, buy it even at these prices (like the Mini). Of course, 17.4 k EUR is ridiculous, especially given how cheap other cars seem to be in Cyprus.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Of course, 17.4 k EUR is ridiculous, especially given how cheap other cars seem to be in Cyprus.
Indeed, this along with the Toyota i.Q make 0 sense to me due to their price tags

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Raconteur

The Smart making number 1 is deserved. It is NOT a mileage champ in real world driving and it is horribly compromised as a day-to-day vehicle. A Toyota Yaris will match it for MPG in the real world and has loads more room for a much more advantageous price. As for quality: Toyota!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

The fortwo is not exactly cheap here, either; the cabriolet starts just shy of $17K, which is pretty ludicrous. But the worst part about the smart in the NA market, as mentioned in that article (and by swizzle), is that for the money you can get a larger car with more features, better performance, and equal mileage. The only powertrain we get here is the 1.0L 3-cylinder petrol engine, which will barely get the fortwo out of its own way, and works too hard to return phenomenal mileage. The diesel (or electric) variant is really the only one that makes sense from a fuel-saving point of view, but of course we'll never get that.

I agree with everything else on the list, minus the VehiCROSS, because at least Isuzu had the balls to do something daring. And at the time I thought it quite cool.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

The ForTwo makes sense in Europe IF it would be priced reasonably. Given the wide spaces and large roads in NA i don't understand how it could become popular there - oh wait, its a Mercedes and the perfect accessory for rich people who want to act green

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

What the **** is people's problem with Smart ForTwos? They're brilliant, Yahoo should get screwed.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
What the **** is people's problem with Smart ForTwos? They're brilliant, Yahoo should get screwed.
Have you even read our reasons above? If so, that is our problem

MAKE
MINE
FORD