currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
The Levorg isn't selling:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...558A6905134J5X

I really don't know why Subaru doesn't sell this here. They could probably just add it to the Impreza line-up very easily in regular and XV Crosstek trims, and steal away sales from the Jetta/Golf Sportwagen.
Here's why it's not selling: strike #1 the ugly name, strike #2 the gaudy styling, strike #3 why not just get a Forester?

As for stealing sales away from the VW Sportwagen...you're talking niche level sales so not really an ambitious target.

I was surprised to see that 55% of Subaru's output is consumed by the NA market. I think the Levorg confuses buyers. Subaru should have done an Impreza hatchback (3/5 door), sedan, and wagon ALL as Imprezas. If people knew this was an Impreza they would probably me more excited. As an all new nameplate (I think it is right??) people have to figure out what it is.

I've also though that in NA if VW used the Jetta nameplate for the Golf (3/5 door), Jetta, and Sportwagen, they would actually sell more product. The point is that Jetta and Impreza are names that resonate very well with consumers and maximizing the power of those nameplates in markets where that would work, is sensical.

The Impreza is a good "franchise" no need to confuse people with Levorg. Subaru stumbled. I'd suggest immediately renaming it an Impreza and immediately putting a facelift that marries the Impreza and Levorg visually.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The Impreza is a good "franchise" no need to confuse people with Levorg. Subaru stumbled. I'd suggest immediately renaming it an Impreza and immediately putting a facelift that marries the Impreza and Levorg visually.
I agree that the name was probably a mistake. But not sure about what you mean about marrying them visually - they have the same front end after all and it's effectively an Impreza wagon.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
I agree that the name was probably a mistake. But not sure about what you mean about marrying them visually - they have the same front end after all and it's effectively an Impreza wagon.
I guess somehow overall it feels busy and less attractive than the Impreza.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
I was surprised to see that 55% of Subaru's output is consumed by the NA market. I think the Levorg confuses buyers. Subaru should have done an Impreza hatchback (3/5 door), sedan, and wagon ALL as Imprezas. If people knew this was an Impreza they would probably me more excited. As an all new nameplate (I think it is right??) people have to figure out what it is.
I think we're saying the same thing here. Totally agree it should have been sold as an Impreza. My point about bringing it here as an "Impreza Touring" or whatever is that, while it would only be incremental sales, those sales would likely still be profitable since there's minimum adjustment and certification needed, since they're the same car.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
I think we're saying the same thing here. Totally agree it should have been sold as an Impreza. My point about bringing it here as an "Impreza Touring" or whatever is that, while it would only be incremental sales, those sales would likely still be profitable since there's minimum adjustment and certification needed, since they're the same car.
It really is too bad that Subaru made the Outback a model as opposed to a trim level. This could be "outbacked" so easily, but also I'd much more love to see a WRX STI version. And on a tangent why is there no Legacy WRX STI???
Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Here's why it's not selling: strike #1 the ugly name, strike #2 the gaudy styling, strike #3 why not just get a Forester?

As for stealing sales away from the VW Sportwagen...you're talking niche level sales so not really an ambitious target.

I've also though that in NA if VW used the Jetta nameplate for the Golf (3/5 door), Jetta, and Sportwagen, they would actually sell more product. The point is that Jetta and Impreza are names that resonate very well with consumers and maximizing the power of those nameplates in markets where that would work, is sensical.

Well, you have to learn few things first - this is car for Japan and Europe. We like our styling gaudy - Outback to us looks like it was made in 1980's and nobody buys it. It is also "large" car here, vs small car in the USA.

They use different name because they sell it for higher price than base Impreza's. Name is not weird for Japan... styling is not weird at all for Japan - if anything, it is a bit conservative. Best sellers in Japan these days are truly weird looking cars.

If this car had a hybrid option, it would probably end up pre-selling 20k in Japan. But right now (and in the future), hybrids sell so Subaru needs to get off their behind.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...15_739141.html
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Raconteur

If only Subaru knew how to make cars gorgeous and hot...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

https://www.subaru.jp/levorg/levorg/