CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 06-30-2017, 04:25 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Because Jaguar's sales volume--even with the F Pace--is atrocious for a brand that purports to be the equal of Mercedes and BMW.
its laughable to think the volume gains would ever come from a roadster or even a coupe these days... it will come from the E-Pace and they can keep making higher-quality lower-volume roadsters because of it. The last thing Jaguar should do is make cheaper quality cars in order to compete with Mercedes and BMW sales volumes. You consistently ignore % increases in sales, which is what they're concerned with. They would never have the capacity to become BMW overnight, that takes years, if not decades.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 PM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
it will come from the E-Pace and they can keep making higher-quality lower-volume roadsters because of it. The last thing Jaguar should do is make cheaper quality cars in order to compete with Mercedes and BMW sales volumes. You consistently ignore % increases in sales, which is what they're concerned with. They would never have the capacity to become BMW overnight, that takes years, if not decades.
Didn't Colin Chapman warn Lotus about making cheaper cars to chase volume? We all know how that turned out....

Profits aside, Porsche has shown that an SUV can be sporty. No reason why Jaguar can't do the same thing....
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Didn't Colin Chapman warn Lotus about making cheaper cars to chase volume? We all know how that turned out....

Profits aside, Porsche has shown that an SUV can be sporty. No reason why Jaguar can't do the same thing....
especially since they already have. it needs some refining but the F-Pace has the potential to be a great SUV.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-30-2017, 08:38 PM
boston boston is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,061
Default

The marketplace is ever more crowded in this segment. Making it difficult for newcomers.
Don't forget that it shares many components with Range Rover which helps lower costs and hopefully helps profits.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-01-2017, 09:56 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
its laughable to think the volume gains would ever come from a roadster or even a coupe these days... it will come from the E-Pace and they can keep making higher-quality lower-volume roadsters because of it. The last thing Jaguar should do is make cheaper quality cars in order to compete with Mercedes and BMW sales volumes. You consistently ignore % increases in sales, which is what they're concerned with. They would never have the capacity to become BMW overnight, that takes years, if not decades.
I have to agree, coupes are not even close to volume cars nowadays, if anything they are image builders. And as that, IMO the F-Type does an excellent job. A XE Coupe would cannibalize f-TYpe and regular XE sales, generating few actually new Jaguar customers. I'm convinced the E-Pace will do an excellent job at broadening the brand, and a XF-Pace or whatever the larger SUV will be called should do as well it'S job
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-02-2017, 12:43 PM
pcread pcread is offline
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,260
Default

pricewise the XE starts at just over half the price of the cheapest F-Type, so there would be a fair bit of margin between a Coupe XE and the 4-cylinder F. However, with the current and projected success of the SUVs, it's unlikely they would spend all that money on developing a niche variant of the entry level sedan. The volume just isn't there, however pretty it was.
Even a station wagon/estate doesn't look economically viable, profit margins are just too tight at the cheaper end of the range. MB and BM can pull it off because they have volume.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy