FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 AM
Blue crazy moderator

A bit unoriginal a bit non-descript - mostly disappointing for me :/
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM

I think this will be a success for JLR. Most dealerships, at least in the USDM are not stand alone. With Land Rover getting people in the door and I am sure the new F-Type is getting attention, the XE is definitely going to get some tire kickers.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Apparently I'm the only one that likes this? Yes, IMO it draws a LOT from Fusion - but that isn't a bad thing.

Is it original? No. Is it ugly? Absolutely not. Will a $40K Jag sell? Yes, boat loads.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Raconteur

It needs to be priced $10K LOWER to buy sales even if they lose money in the process. Tata needs to buy Jaguar market share. With NA sales of around 18/19k a year, Jaguar is on death's door relative to the competition. If they made it so you got a C Class level car for the price of a CLA, they would be on to something. The new C Class and 3 Series will not blink an eye at this "non-competitor" product.

If this had styling that leapfrogged the competition for the same price as the competition that would have been a strategy, but this is way too tame.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Previous generation Acura TSX + ugly XJ face with a price that is $15K too high. This is a disaster. Ford is laughing. Tata should be pissed at Callum.
I agree this car is awfully boring. Where do you see the price though?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I agree this car is awfully boring. Where do you see the price though?
$33K to start, $40K loaded, $50 XE-R

Other sources have pegged the beginning price at $44-46K which is ridiculous.

The coming Jaguar crossover should be a "Lexus RX" for "NX" pricing.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Other sources have pegged the beginning price at $44-46K which is ridiculous.
That could be some of these today so popular loaded launch editions, plus I don't know if the full engine range will already be available.

Pricing wise, life in Europe will probably a bit more relaxed, as Lexus is a rather niche player here (mostly going hybrid), Infiniti a microscopic player and Acura a non existent player, but still it needs to undercut a comparable 3 series BMW (which will be the main rival, also globally) significantly. Problem in Europe will be that BMW does offer a 316i with little kit but an eye catching price - even in Austria with not so low taxing below 30k EUR (which will lure people into showrooms to buy more expensive kitted out versions with at least some mid spec Diesel engine under the hood, so not that attractive pricing wise anymore), but the Jag will probably start with way more powerful engines and more kit as standard, so base price will be way less attractive at first glance (pretty much the same problem Lexus has, where e.g. the cheapest IS is the 250 starting 10k above the way less speced base 3 series)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM

I can really only comment on the UK market but I think there are a number of things in the XE’s favour.

For a start the BMW 3 series is constantly in the top 10 best sellers here and the C Class has had a bit of a flirt with it recently too ...... these 2 models are everywhere ....... exclusive they ain't ..... so if you are after “premium” and “exclusive” the XE is the place to look first plus there will be a version that will emit less than 100g of CO2 which will make it considerably cheaper to own as a company car than the other 2.

My understanding is that Jaguar can only make / sell 60 -100k a year so they will focus on the top end of the 3 series range, the 3 Series need to sell 5 times that number hence the very un-premium 316 & 318 versions

I too was a bit disappointed with the impact of the design but if you are competing in the 3 series saloon market then the dimensions have to be .... well 3 series saloon sized and hey the 3 Series and C Class are no lookers.

As someone who only once ever bought a saloon I can’t see the attraction of the things, I’m waiting for the Sportsbrake and Crossover to appear which if they look anything like the CX17 concept will outsell all other variants in the range – just like the Porsche Crossovers do.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 AM
Raconteur

It really is unfortunate that Hyundai did not follow through on their acquisition of Jaguar--they nibbled--because with Jaguar's aluminum knowledge and Hyundai quite good engines, manufacturing capacity, and economies of scale on parts could have been a win/win and would have rendered the Genesis / Equus / Gen Coupe / K900 unnecessary.

I almost wish one of the Germans would buy it at this point from Tata. It would be an ideal acquisition for VAG with Jag/Bentley being a 1-2 punch. Jaguar needs a much bigger market share and if England is limited to 100K production that is an unfortunate constraint.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I almost wish one of the Germans would buy it at this point from Tata. It would be an ideal acquisition for VAG with Jag/Bentley being a 1-2 punch..
Then we would have ended up with an Audi A4 (thus on an initially FWD chassis) or worse, MQB based Jaguar XE. Actually I don't think VAG handles their sub brands ideally, all their cars end up looking and feeling pretty much the same, even if that means a certain quality feeling, but still the same, no matter which badge, and now deriving basically everything from MQB won't help differentiate either.

Hyundai would make more sense, but really if I had been Ford, I'd have kept either Jag or Volvo, to have at least one global premium brand (Lincoln will never work outside the US, currently it doesn't even really work at home). But that's another story