Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
No Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is a deal-breaker for me.
Did it say that in one of the press release (I'm too lazy to read them all). That IS bizarre. I can't imagine that Toyota didn't have a good reason for the omission, though. I know Porsche refused to use Android Auto b/c of Google's data mining (IIRC).
Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The interior is quite cool, but the exterior is a mess.The front looks like a facelift of the Camry from a generation back and the designers looked like they have tried way too hard to make the general design more interesting with random lines and silly detailing.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Did it say that in one of the press release (I'm too lazy to read them all). That IS bizarre. I can't imagine that Toyota didn't have a good reason for the omission, though. I know Porsche refused to use Android Auto b/c of Google's data mining (IIRC).
It's using Entune 3.0. Toyota pretty steadfastly refuses to integrate CarPlay/Android Auto, because...well, they just don't want to cede that real estate to Apple and Google. They and Mazda are, at this point, the only holdouts. Having both systems, I can safely say I'll never buy another car without them. I don't care how good Entune becomes; knowing my car will have future compatibility with phones not yet released is incredibly important to me.

Also, the Camry's red interior is just lurid:

Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Raconteur

Styling that over promises and underwhelms. It's like Toyota wants to cut loose but just can't fully do it. The tail with the floating roof look is quite nice. The interior is horrible.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM

I'm not sure when Kim Reynolds decided that this weird, stream-of-consciousness, impressionistic/experimental art student articles were a good thing, but the drive itself (albeit in prototypes) is promising.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyot...-drive-review/
Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

A surprising move, given how conservative and evolutionary the Camry used to be. Love it or not, but it's a bold move, and you can't deny it looks modern, and "rental car" is not the first thing to come into mind. Somehow the US Passat must look now very archaic (which it also is, mostly), but probably will be a safeplace for those ex-Camry buyers who find the new model shocking.

I like the interior, it looks modern and actually has a premium feel from the pictures, and though there is a huge screen, there are still a few buttons and knobs left for basic functions. big bonus points for keeping usability instead of going for the "super clean but pain in the ass to use" look.

However, no Android Auto/Carplay is a huge miss, I have to agree, although I personally think Camry demographics are probably not the early adapters for these solutions, and they can't replace a solid basic system, i still think it should be there in any new car nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Where is the $2.00 digital clock?
That was the first thing I was looking for on the interior photos too ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
they must've run out...at long last!
Oh I'm sure by the time the next Corolla is around the corner, they will unearth a warehouse full of them somewhere....
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM
The Lurker

This is surprisingly good. Overworked? Yes. But still pretty daring and interesting. Customers will like that coupled with the Toyota badge.

I'm interested to see the Accord in a few months and what it will bring to the table.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Somehow the US Passat must look now very archaic (which it also is, mostly), but probably will be a safeplace for those ex-Camry buyers who find the new model shocking.
The U.S. Passat looked archaic from the moment it was released (IMHO).

And Europeans (I'm using you to represent all Europeans.... ;) ) just don't get Americans very well. The masses that buy Toyota Camrys probably don't even cross shop VWs. It's not the styling that Americans care most about; in this segment, it's mainly about reliability and cost to own (and Toyota will still ilkely do very well in those areas)...
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
...The masses that buy Toyota Camrys probably don't even cross shop VWs. It's not the styling that Americans care most about; in this segment, it's mainly about reliability and cost to own (and Toyota will still ilkely do very well in those areas)...
Indeed. American buyers in this segment expect their vehicles to be trouble-free, low on cost of repairs, reliable, and durable. VW is none of those things.

My read of the comments of the folks in Europe is that a nice interior is "good quality" but poor reliability is not a sign of "bad quality".
Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
My read of the comments of the folks in Europe is that a nice interior is "good quality" but poor reliability is not a sign of "bad quality".
It would actually be interesting to see what the European posters value most (although their opinions may not represent the average European any more than the U.S. posters here represent the average U.S. car buyer).

Japanese cars don't sell hugely well in Europe (although I think someone posted figures that Lexus was growing nicely), from what I understand. I assume that Japanese cars in Europe are as reliable as their U.S. counterparts (even if the U.S. has unique models). Is it a size thing? A driving dynamics thing? An overall sense of solidity (about the chassis itself, not how well the car holds up over time)?