There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default 2017 Hyundai i30

Source: https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2017-i30/

My thoughts:

1. Did Peugeot design the main car? In profile especially it looks like the current 308.
2. Heavy inspiration from the likes of Mazda and Infinity at the front.
3. Rear looks close to Tuscon which makes sense. Yet hardly original either.
4. Interior is also derived from the competition.

Probably the most heavily derived Hyundai in memory for me. It looks like they made little effort to make this look unique.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Pretty sure there is already a thread for that ;)

On the car: I did take a look at it this weekend visiting a motor show, in flesh it looks even more Peugeot 308 than on pictures. Given the Peugeot stand was next to Hyundai, it was even more obvious. Handsome, yes, but visually unrelated to any other Hyundai, somehow. Otherwise it looks actually quite expensive, the interior is well made, though nothing special (I do think the Ioniq has a better interior in terms of materials, details and general ambiance, that car was a pleasant surprise) and the "tablet touch screen with the face of a normal stereo" looks as silly as on pictures. My gripe is that pricing is quite keen.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Pretty sure there is already a thread for that ;)

On the car: I did take a look at it this weekend visiting a motor show, in flesh it looks even more Peugeot 308 than on pictures. Given the Peugeot stand was next to Hyundai, it was even more obvious. Handsome, yes, but visually unrelated to any other Hyundai, somehow. Otherwise it looks actually quite expensive, the interior is well made, though nothing special (I do think the Ioniq has a better interior in terms of materials, details and general ambiance, that car was a pleasant surprise) and the "tablet touch screen with the face of a normal stereo" looks as silly as on pictures. My gripe is that pricing is quite keen.
You mean an existing New i30 thread? If so i apologize, i checked the last 2 pages and didn't see it.

I'm sure its nice to drive, made of quality materials and carries a keen price. And it does look good, and will sell in this price range. But if they somehow thought they could rival the best in terms of wow factor then they failed. Maybe Hyundai just wants to show they can make cars the Germans in terms of perceived quality?

In any case, i'd be more interested in the flawed yet bold new Civic sedan than this.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
You mean an existing New i30 thread? If so i apologize, i checked the last 2 pages and didn't see it.
Here it is ;)

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthrea...16+hyundai+i30
Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Cant stand the chrome door handles with black mirrors.

In general the whole thing looks dated. It makes the current model look like the new one and this is the model being replaced.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Raconteur

Not terrible so much as too restrained. The dullness is worthy of an Audi.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
Cant stand the chrome door handles with black mirrors.

In general the whole thing looks dated. It makes the current model look like the new one and this is the model being replaced.
I don't mind the black mirrors since they are glossy black, not cheap matte black ones.

Flashy designs tend to age quickly. Although some see more conservative designs as a step back or looking old, these are usually the ones that age better are easier to refresh.

Peugeot used to have crazy swoopy designs, now they've taken the VW route and toned down their designs.
It seems Hyundai had the 308 in mind when they styled the i30...

Last edited by AM2; 01-25-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

To be fair, I don't see much Golf in the 308, yes it is conservative, but the currnet VAG theme with it's sharp angles and creases and sometimes overdone detailing is very different. Also, Peugeots used to be mostly conservative designs for decades, with only around the mid 2000s gaping whole front end models being very busy - and not too successful, design and sales wise - exceptions. Also the "thick C-pillar" has been around with Peugeot since the 205 from 35 years ago, it's not like they suddenly copied VW (even if mostly German press likes to imagine that)..

The Hyundai i30 however does, especially in the flesh, have quite a bit of Peugeot in it#s design (again, more Peugeot than "edgy" VAG), though I would say that ultimately the Pug has the proportions slightly more spot on, and I prefer the grille (the hexagonal Genesis grille doesn't work that well with the otherwise soft lines). My biggest grippe with the i30 - although still a comparably good looking car - is that after the promising previous generation, and especially the IMO very attractive looking - and top selling - Tucson with it's "design language of it's own" this i30 is again back to a bit of "blend in with the rest"....
Old 01-25-2017, 10:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
To be fair, I don't see much Golf in the 308, yes it is conservative, but the currnet VAG theme with it's sharp angles and creases and sometimes overdone detailing is very different. Also, Peugeots used to be mostly conservative designs for decades, with only around the mid 2000s gaping whole front end models being very busy - and not too successful, design and sales wise - exceptions. Also the "thick C-pillar" has been around with Peugeot since the 205 from 35 years ago, it's not like they suddenly copied VW (even if mostly German press likes to imagine that)..
Peugeot's started looking more futuristic and curvy with the 206 of the late 90s and 307 of the early 2000s, but they were tame compared to the mid 2000s 308 and 207. Lol
The current 308's more conservative approach makes it feel more like a French Golf when compared to the old 308.

Old 308

*The 3-door versions of the 205 and 306 had thick-triangular C-pillars because they had long sloping rear liftgates.

Quote:
The Hyundai i30 however does, especially in the flesh, have quite a bit of Peugeot in it#s design (again, more Peugeot than "edgy" VAG), though I would say that ultimately the Pug has the proportions slightly more spot on, and I prefer the grille (the hexagonal Genesis grille doesn't work that well with the otherwise soft lines). My biggest grippe with the i30 - although still a comparably good looking car - is that after the promising previous generation, and especially the IMO very attractive looking - and top selling - Tucson with it's "design language of it's own" this i30 is again back to a bit of "blend in with the rest"....
Same here, Peugeot was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.
I'm starting to like the new i30, it looks good from this angle.

The less angular Tucson's grille would have looked better on this,

Last edited by AM2; 01-26-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:35 PM
CSS Veteran

MODS

Please merge this thread with: http://carspyshots.net/showthread.ph...hlight=hyundai