Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM
The Lurker

I've been looking at this thing for a week now, and I think I finally understand why it irks me.

This doesn't look like a Hyundai (beyond the Peugeot similarities). It looks like a Kia.

The 2010/11 renaissance of Hyundai/Kia's designs made two distinct looks for their brands. Hyundai was swoopy and dramatic. Kia was hard-lined and modern. Both companies have been gradually moving back to a single language ever since. Maybe their newer models are more mature and handsome than the old ones. But Hyundai specifically has lost that trait that made them unique looking. I just don't see how the two brands will be able to co-exist for much longer with their products overlap being so extensive and their literal look becoming so samey.

Otherwise this is generically attractive. I still hate the stupid flare-out of the bottom grille though.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:35 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
...The 2010/11 renaissance of Hyundai/Kia's designs made two distinct looks for their brands. Hyundai was swoopy and dramatic. Kia was hard-lined and modern. Both companies have been gradually moving back to a single language ever since...
Bingo. It seems like Schreyer has gotten comfortable and is presiding over phoned-in designs. The Optima and Sonata replacements aren't ugly, but they sure are tame. Then there is the Genesis line that is pleasantly generic. The Kia GT/Stinger is daring if not exactly styling perfection. All of this is a dumb styling direction to go in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
This doesn't look like a Hyundai (beyond the Peugeot similarities). It looks like a Kia.
Indeed it dose, just park it next to a new Kia Rio, they look very similar. But I guess if VAG can get away with one design language for 4 brands then why not Hyundai/Kia. Sure, it's a shame, but at the end if it sells....

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Bingo. It seems like Schreyer has gotten comfortable and is presiding over phoned-in designs. The Optima and Sonata replacements aren't ugly, but they sure are tame. Then there is the Genesis line that is pleasantly generic. The Kia GT/Stinger is daring if not exactly styling perfection. All of this is a dumb styling direction to go in my opinion.
Indeed. But let's not forget that for the ca. 2010-12 generation, Schreyer was just responsible for Kia, and since has become head of the whole company, so it is kind of understandable that now all H/K cars look more similar to each other (even if I don't say that is good). But there is no excuse for replacements looking duller and less modern than before, and Is till don't get why a Kia Stinger looks more expensive/desirable than a Genesis G80 that slots above it, and why it's more daring design language isn't actually used for Genesis to separate it more and make it stand out in the premium market, at least say "hello", instead of the, well said, pleasingly generic look they currently have.

Not all is wrong, some models (mostly Kias, but also the Tucson) still look really rather good, but the general direction is not the right one.....
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/hyu...-fastback.html
https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2018-i30_fastback/

The Hyundai i30 Fastback;

Officially teh first compact 5 door coupe sedan, with hints of Mercedes coupes in the rear end. But altoegtehr looking good, IMO better than the rather conservative hatchback version;

Engine range will have the 1.0 and 1.4 Turbo petrols and the 1.6 Diesel in 2 stages of tune. interiro remains unchanged
Old 07-13-2017, 02:18 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Also, together with the fastback, and after teaisng it for ages (including letting journalists drive a camoed version of the previous cart that actually never went on sale), here is the Hyundai i30N, teh first Hyundai hot hatchback:

https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2018-i30_n/

Powered by a 2.0 Turbo that has 250hp in standard shape, and 275hp with a performance package, it get's adjustable dampers, electric limited slip (unfortunately not a proper mechanical), and a 6 speed manual with rev matching.

Inside you get a new steering wheel (which IMO would have been nice in the Fastback coupe sedan as well), but otherwise not too much of a hot hatch feeling, which I always find a bit of a shame, the exterior is restrained but tastefully upgraded.

250 - 275hp puts it closest to the aging Focus ST, as the Golf GTI has little less power, and the R more plus AWD. I'm really looing forward to how their first hot hatch drives, as the normal i30 is best described as "nice but unremarkable"...
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 PM

The fastback isn't bad at all. I don't quite like the way they've resolved the rear-quarter window, but otherwise it's tasteful and almost sleek w/o seeming like it's trying to hard (the way the Elantra from 2 generations ago looked, IMHO).
Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Raconteur

I like very much what I see.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The fast back looks awkward to my eyes. The rear quarter panel does look strange; so too does the boot lip from some angles; and the rear end looks too stubby generally. Maybe it will translate better in the metal...

The i30N is just a little too busy at the front and rear, although I prefer the rear end of it to the standard i30 versions.

I do hope Hyundai's design mojo returns soon.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 AM
The Lurker

I'm ok with both, but I'm irked by a few things. The flared out grille is still HORRID and is made slightly more manageable on the N. It look extremely cheap on the fastback with the chrome trim.

I really want to love the fastback, but something is weird about the proportions. The wheelbase is too short and overhangs too long. Something just looks cheap about it all (I understand it's an economy car but I think the Civic hatch looks quite premium).

The N is fine but the back has too many layers. Tail lights, reflectors, fake outlets, exhausts, diffusers. It's not the most cohesive thing, but not terrible. I'm extremely disappointed about the lack of the roof detail from the concept.

I was 100% on board with this floating roof, and they ditched it. They could have just painted the spoiler body color and notched out a black panel. Overall it's just quite mundane (and again, could be a KIA). For sure "nice" but not really "wow."
Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I really want to love the fastback, but something is weird about the proportions. The wheelbase is too short and overhangs too long.
I agree, on these pics, something looks off. My hope is that it will look better in flesh, some spyshots with not so much camo made it look better proportioned. Interestingly, I think a slightly longer (5 - 10 cm) rear end would make it sleeker, in comparison to the rather long front overhang the rear end looks slightly "cut off". It's a minor issue, I'm more disappointed that the interior didn't receive a bit of an upgrade, the i30 doesn't feel great there, and the N's steering wheel, a bit more color and fabric/leatherette/Alcantara in the doors would do wonders....