Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

also is that the only seating configuration? If so, what is the point of going full on minivan for TWO rear passengers. I get that Asia wants this, but I don't understand how it accomplishes anything that their current SUVs don't do already.

Scratch that, blurb says there is a more traditional seating arrangement:

"Lexus says the LM will also be available in a seven-seat configuration featuring two separate luxury seats for the first two rows and three seats across the third row. The seats located on the second row will be the most comfortable and will feature larger, more supportive armrests."

Still though.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:33 PM

Andre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I assume a Lexus minivan won't be coming to the US?

I sort of wonder what's the point....
The USA isn't the only market in the world... Just because it wouldn't sell in the States doesn't mean there's no use in selling it elsewhere. This will do well, in select markets.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

haji is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The USA isn't the only market in the world... Just because it wouldn't sell in the States doesn't mean there's no use in selling it elsewhere. This will do well, in select markets.
This is really the feeling I have about American enthusiasts. Unfortunately many tend to think that if it works in US it will do in the rest of the world, and vice versa.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:27 AM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with US Auto enthusiasts is they tend to think the world of car magazine roadtests and impressions represent the sentiment of the buying public. By their logic every man and woman in america should be driving a GTI, WRX or M3 or be sent off to the gallows.

On topic, minivans are not cool in the US as they are in, say, Thailand where I hear they can come from the dealer with a built-in Karaoke machine. Asian executives like to chill out in their luxury minivans between meetings, during travel, etc. US dealers could probably care less about this thing beside an RX350L or GX460, but it would be an interesting study.

and LM continues to evoke connotation of LeMans

polesmokers

Last edited by Naga Royal Guard; 04-17-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:07 AM
Nondescript Member

anonms is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to anonms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
also is that the only seating configuration? If so, what is the point of going full on minivan for TWO rear passengers. I get that Asia wants this, but I don't understand how it accomplishes anything that their current SUVs don't do already.
It's a bit lower to the ground, so it's easier to get into than an SUV. In full-on luxury configuration, it's also got the seating capacity of a flagship luxury sedan but with a lot more room to stretch out or recline.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 AM
_

Would that seating arrangement cater to the "executive" preference of such a luxo minivan characteristic to this region?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

silviaS15 is on a distinguished road

This place has the highest density of Toyota Alphards and Vellfires (many of which JDM grey imports) in the world I think as captured by a Japanese tourist:

https://youtu.be/ZQmBIMismT0
Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

A lot of airports in Europe use such minivans to cater to high end flyers, mostly Mercedes V-classes and of course, 7 series, s-class. etc, but I've seen the vans at major airports in europe. Celebrities also like to use such vans.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
A lot of airports in Europe use such minivans to cater to high end flyers, mostly Mercedes V-classes and of course, 7 series, s-class. etc, but I've seen the vans at major airports in Europe. Celebrities also like to use such vans.
Indeed,especially the Mercedes V-Class seems to have a quite comfortable market position as a "VIP airport shuttle", and given the numbers at every airport and that they ain't cheap, certainly a business case.

And, to be honest, despite the certainly challenging exterior, I have to admit this looks like a super comfortable place to be chauffeured around in, much more so than a low slung limo or a SUV; So I do indeed understand when someone with a driver prefers this over a classic limo, much more so thna those LWB small and mid sized cars in China...
Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 PM
_

ah yes the China Weinerdog Special