Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Pet Peeve: Not Linking to Original Image Sources

I'm starting to get peeved at people linking to spy photos in obscure blogs even though the photos are watermarked with their original source. For example, I'll find a link to something at joeshmoescarblog.com and there will be a watermark in the photo saying auto.sohu.com. It only takes about five minutes to go to auto.sohu.com and track down the original source and get the link. Blogs that repost watermarked images like that are probably using them without permission. Whenever I find something like this I track down and post the original link.

I fear that some of these posters may be using CarSpyShots to promote these blogs when the real purpose of this site should be to deliver the most accurate info possible on future cars.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Point well taken. But if we're talking about an actual image, regardless of source, how is that inaccurate? Especially if it's a straight up spy shot, not some terrible photoshop attempt...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Not saying its necessary inaccurate (although reposts can leave out useful information form the original source). My concern with the reposts is that promotion seems to be the top priority. I also think that linking to sites with unathorized copies of watermarked images is very disrespectful to the photographers, artists and publications who brought us the images in the first place.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Blue crazy moderator

Whilst it certainly isn't the most ethical of practices, it's something that we've had to come to live with in the age of the internet. I too would like to see the extra time and care taken to reference original sources, but unfortunately it's something we can't really enforce too harshly without holding up the posting and thread creation process a la memberships.
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group