There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
I thought it was going on sale in december of this year?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...8-photos-info/ .
The GTI/R isn’t supposed to be available in Europe till next year, it’s only the regular Golf going on sale this year. And I guess VW Canada is waiting until the GTI/R are ready and will launch the whole range then, instead of doing 2 separate launches in a relatively small market, which means 2021 since it always seems to take at least a year for VW to bring new models across the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
If you look at the previous messages, it seems as if the car itself was not really the matter of discussion. Not a good thing.
Sorry, I can’t resist gossip ;)

Last edited by SV; 11-09-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:09 PM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

But we must resist facism, communism and VW.

On another and slightly more relevant note. I do dislike the way LCDs in modern cars are no longer coherent with the rest of the dashboard design. They look as if someone is propping an iPad mini up there.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
I do dislike the way LCDs in modern cars are no longer coherent with the rest of the dashboard design. They look as if someone is propping an iPad mini up there.
I think this is to easier show off how massive and how many screens one has; Like the illogical and useless, but increasing number on the backside of Audis, this is to fulfill the customers need to show/copare"mine is bigger". And, for car makers to show of "tech".....

I mean, if you neatly integrate a screen into the dashboard design (like, say, in the Alfa Giulia), turned of no one will even notice there are screens or digital instruments; I mean, your neighbors might miss you opted for the "plus navigation package with larger digital cockpit pack 3", and might think you are a poor peasant when they pass your parked car;

Not, that to me a massive center screen, let alone digital instruments, have any benefit over a more traditional layout with some keys or a rotary control knob which makes the car easily usable whilst driving anyway,,,,
Old Today, 01:50 PM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a design to reflect the times. The LCD is dominant and jarringly un-blended as the LCD is prominent and central to our present culture as a society. Function has passed form. It has gone from relatively tasteful integration with existing interior design forms to defining them. I feel like this trend started with the first "bangled" 7 series.
Old Today, 05:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
I feel like this trend started with the first "bangled" 7 series.
A bit off topic, but.... I thought the "double hump" dash in the Bangle'd 7 was offensive b/c it was so ugly a form and totally w/o grace. I actually prefer the tacked-on iPad look b/c at least there isn't a weird double hump, and twisting of plastic trim (at least in MB models) to support the screen is quite impressive and almost artful.

While I don't love the screens (you should do a web search for some real-life photos of the Taycan at night....), I do think the positioning on top of the dash is better in terms of visibility (esp if you use navigation). I also think touchscreens are not a good idea (to far too reach) and think a control wheel is a much better idea.