Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Hyundai Mis-Steps

A really interesting article on Hyundai...it's pretty accurate IMO. To me the big thing that resonated was the dumbing down the Sonata (my words) from the previous gen. That and not having trucks.

I know on this Swiz and I agree; they need to buy Dodge / Chrysler. Leverage their truck strengths. I also thing that the Genesis line up would fit Chrysler quite nicely.....

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/05/...lost-momentum/
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Raconteur

Hyundai buying FCA is all sorts of win/win.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:32 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I also thing that the Genesis line up would fit Chrysler quite nicely.....
It would, but I'm reading on a Genesis forum that dealers are being totally arrogant and demanding full MSRP for a G70 (when they can even get a shipment). HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck w/ that, Genesis. Ain't no one gonna buy your cars for full MSRP no matter how good they are, just on principle alone.

While the current-gen Sonata is a distinct step backward design-wise, I honestly don't know how much that might've caused the decline in sales. I mean, mid-sized family-car buyers aren't exactly known for being design conscious, and the new Accord isn't selling well (at least, not here in LA, where Toyota seems to be easily selling EXPONENTIALLY more Camrys). Seeing a new Accord here is still unusual. And I think auto enthusiasts react to things differently than does the general public. Any of the Bangle-era cars should've destroyed BMW, but sales went up....
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Accord is a turd, because, look at it. No way I'd be caught driving that if I were looking for that type of car; it'd be Optima, Mazda, Fusion then everything else.

I get that in North America the category is declining - but world wide, it's still a massive market. As for North America, in the 70's station wagons were the flavor of the month, 80's it was minivans.... etc... today it's CUV's. The constant has always emerged as the mid-sized sedan. I believe this will happen here -but also think that it'll never been the massive sales leader it once was.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Raconteur

Hyundai needs to reposition Kia as their Subaru/Acura brand i.e. low-hanging near-premium offerings, let Hyundai be the mainstream brand, and convert Genesis entire into EV premium. The overlap between Hyundai and Kia is just stupid.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Agree that Hyundai / Kia need to have 'clearer' rolls in their respective world.

Kia could / should be an Acura competitor (although - it's not much competition as Kia thwarts them in style, quality and based upon Stinger - handling). Having them as what Acura is (ie a wanna be premium brand) is smart; having them as what Acura wants to be (BMW) won't work IMO.

I think making Genesis an EV brand is interesting; but the Genesis cars themselves (today) are too good not to leverage some how. Regrettably, they're not on peoples radar ... people don't know what Genesis is (other than an 80's band or biblical reference)...

Side bar - I honestly don't get peoples love of Subaru. They're not fuel efficient. They're not particularly great looking / performance cars (ex the WRX) and in context to what they are, they're expensive...so, they have all wheel drive and are durable...ok....I'm not discounting what they've done for themselves as a brand (they should be proud - people who love them, are LOYAL) - I just don't understand it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Side bar - I honestly don't get peoples love of Subaru...
It's just like the Teslarati that see no flaws of any kind in Tesla, though rational people can see the poor quality, poor reliability, ridiculous cost, and so on. The true believers will worship. VW has true believers too, though not enough to sustain them in the USA.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It's just like the Teslarati that see no flaws of any kind in Tesla, though rational people can see the poor quality, poor reliability, ridiculous cost, and so on. The true believers will worship. VW has true believers too, though not enough to sustain them in the USA.
Tesla suffered from poor initial quality when their vehicles first came out; that's simply not the case now. Yes, I'm a Tesla fan (2014 Model S owner) - no QC issues, at all. The difference w/ Tesla is people are MUCH more vocal with their issues. Are their cars perfect? Of course not. No car is; be it BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Hyundai - whomever.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Tesla suffered from poor initial quality when their vehicles first came out; that's simply not the case now. Yes, I'm a Tesla fan (2014 Model S owner) - no QC issues, at all. The difference w/ Tesla is people are MUCH more vocal with their issues. Are their cars perfect? Of course not. No car is; be it BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Hyundai - whomever.
Oh, I see, you're one of the blind.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Oh, I see, you're one of the blind.
No, I deal in facts. Try research versus looking at headlines. It's wonderfully informative.