Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2019 Cupra Ibiza

Yes, the Ibiza Cupra will no longer be a Seat, but now sold under the Cupra brand; With a different badge that looks like it came form a computer game, or China, and a lot of brown elements.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/seat-...-13303107.html

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Would look great debadged. I like debadged expensive cars.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Would look great debadged. I like debadged expensive cars.
If you consider a Seat Ibiza an expensive car....

That said, on expensive cars, I agree. There is no need for badges, especially not random engine designations hinting at large capacity engines long gone on some downsized turbo...
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Raconteur

Just what VWAG needs....ANOTHER brand that duplicates effort.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
If you consider a Seat Ibiza an expensive car....

That said, on expensive cars, I agree. There is no need for badges, especially not random engine designations hinting at large capacity engines long gone on some downsized turbo...
It is not a Seat Ibiza, but a Cupra Ibiza. I would consider a Golf R an 'expensive' car, a normal Golf not.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It is not a Seat Ibiza, but a Cupra Ibiza.
It was designed and produced initially as a Seat...so yeah that's the relevant starting point as far as "expensive" is concerned.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The material on that steering wheel....that is going to look pretty gross after about 1 year of usage....
Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Why this needed it's own badge and seperate cupra branding is beyond me. Should have just been just a red SEAT badge or something similar
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Why this needed it's own badge and seperate cupra branding is beyond me. Should have just been just a red SEAT badge or something similar
I was thinking the same. They are probably going for an 'Abarth' style make over. To be honest i think VAG should consider selling SEAT (if there are any takers) as at the moment between Volkswagen, SEAT and Skoda there is too much overlapping. And SEAT hasn't been as profitable or popular as Skoda and Volkswagen.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Likely that is what they try, just Abarth has some history as a sports brand; This is just like Citroen, trying to use a popular model name fro a whole brand, though Citroen at least gave the DS brand models of their own; To me, this simply does not work on any level, and the cheapening out at the rear end, where the badge gets a surrounding plate so it fits the cut out for the SEAT badge on the hatch is showing how half hearted the attempt is. VW has no concept for SEAT for quite a while now, this is why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
To be honest i think VAG should consider selling SEAT (if there are any takers) as at the moment between Volkswagen, SEAT and Skoda there is too much overlapping. And SEAT hasn't been as profitable or popular as Skoda and Volkswagen.
I agree with that; Given that SEAT already has no real positioning - is it sportier? Probably, but the true hot engines are usually reserved for VW or AUdi. Is it cheap?Well cheaper than Skoda, even though initially that should be Skoda's position; And the rebadges//reskins that all models except the Leon are help little in this dense lineup to separate them from Skoda or VW.

Maybe this move - taking the only thing of real value, the Cupra models, and separating them - is already a hint at a sale, sell the regular SEAT name to whomever (China?) and keep the "Curpa" name for some sportier VWs or Skodas. Not that the currnet position of VW and Skoda has very different profiles for those two brands either,,