currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2016, 05:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Official teaser for the LA Auto Show:

http://www.motor1.com/news/126952/20...cx5-teaser-la/
Very promising. The CX-5 is the least attractive of Mazda's current lineup IMO (a relative statement, granted - for its class it's near the top) but this looks like it will be much more in the vein of the stunning CX-9 and CX-3. Now, if it just gets the new turbo engine as an option...
Old 10-28-2016, 09:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Very promising. The CX-5 is the least attractive of Mazda's current lineup IMO (a relative statement, granted - for its class it's near the top) but this looks like it will be much more in the vein of the stunning CX-9 and CX-3. Now, if it just gets the new turbo engine as an option...
Forget Turbo...give me a diesel w/ start stop tech and I'm in.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:19 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Looking great, another massive seller for Mazda in Australia no doubt. The CX-5 deserves to be world wide best seller.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 AM
CSS Veteran

I don't know how reliable autoevoluation is, but apparently the 2.5T and a Signature trim is coming soon....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...es-126512.html
Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Raconteur

Imagine how the 2.5T would utterly transform the Miata. Hunker the CX5 down, throw in this engine, improve the suspension and call it a Mazdaspeed CX5.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:40 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Imagine how the 2.5T would utterly transform the Miata. Hunker the CX5 down, throw in this engine, improve the suspension and call it a Mazdaspeed CX5.
Or go for near luxury, and go after the Audi A3, MB GLA, and BMW X1....
Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Or go for near luxury, and go after the Audi A3, MB GLA, and BMW X1....
Or both. Performance crossovers are bound to become a mainstream thing.

Though, I am not certain that people speak Mazda in the same breath as Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. Really wonderful cars Mazdas are, but not sure they are at the same level. They are definitely better looking than the Germans.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Or both. Performance crossovers are bound to become a mainstream thing.

Though, I am not certain that people speak Mazda in the same breath as Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. Really wonderful cars Mazdas are, but not sure they are at the same level. They are definitely better looking than the Germans.
I agree, Mazda deinitely is not in the same image league, but really, they look better, the interiors are nowadays top notch, and handling generally the engineering are great, especially their slightly different approach on petrol engines; I think they definitely have the chance to play catch up with the premium brands, if done right. The one thing showing this best is IMO that unlike many other Asian brands, that are in first place bought for reliability and general trouble free motoring, Mazda is also bought because people want one. And that is something a brand can build up on;
Old 07-23-2018, 08:34 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Mazda certainly doesn't have the prestige, but the luxury subcompact SUVs (aside from perhaps the X1) are sufficiently bad (I had a GLA loaner for a short period, I know) that people might be turned off from the brand altogether, if they can't afford to move up to a "real" Audi/BMW/MB for their next car.

I think the more savvy buyer may prefer the CX-5 from the start (I know I certainly would) and that seems to be the market Mazda is chasing w/ its clear moves upmarket. Whether it's a particularly big market to chase is another discussion altogether.

I do think there's a gap (at least in the US) in relatively affordable but still upscale cars (a place where Acura used do well and where Buick could have an impact.... If it were interested in doing so).
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if Mazda has considered doing a sub brand (not like back in the 90's though) similar to what Ford is doing with Vignale.

You could potentially have all top line models with the a particular name/badge and some similar styling, such as a special grille treatment across those models.

Not sure this how this has worked out for Ford though.