Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysnkisses View Post
talking about stale... the tail of the lincoln continental. something only a 70 yo could love. the front was much better in the prototype, too. and the dash, while nice, looks like a blinged up fusion dash (particularly the instrument cluster's shape). BMW and Audi, I agree, are sleeping and not as sharp as, say, 15 years ago (I still miss my 2000 323 Ci coupe, though I don't miss the relatively frequent and co$tly visits to the $tealership), still sell well. They sell because they represent German luxury, and Lincoln simply doesn't have that appeal. Cadillac is trying.
It's nice to be a snob, but the Continental is getting a lot of attention from people nowhere near 70.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It's nice to be a snob, but the Continental is getting a lot of attention from people nowhere near 70.
LOL. if disagreeing with you means being a snob, I'm proud of it. Let's tally up the continental sales against the equivalent BMW and Audis later on, shall we.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
LOL. if disagreeing with you means being a snob, I'm proud of it. Let's tally up the continental sales against the equivalent BMW and Audis later on, shall we.
Typical apples-to-oranges illogic.

You don't get it do you? The Continental is not trying to be a BMW or an Audi. It's trying to be a Lincoln. If it sells well, it will be because Lincoln communicated its value as a brand.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Typical apples-to-oranges illogic.

You don't get it do you? The Continental is not trying to be a BMW or an Audi. It's trying to be a Lincoln. If it sells well, it will be because Lincoln communicated its value as a brand.
Look, whatever you say. I should (always) have known better than trying a pissing match with a know-it-all. But for completeness, YOU wrote:

"With BMW and Audi standing still by churning out new cars that look a decade old, Lincoln could easily market the Continental against that stasis, grab customers wanting style and a bit more spaciousness for the price." I LOL at you.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Any who....back to BMW...

This seems to be a total yawn fest w/ no meaningful changes. So....updates inspired by VW caliber update? Pretty soon car companies are going to come up w/ a new paint colour and call it a new generation of car....
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Any who....back to BMW...

This seems to be a total yawn fest w/ no meaningful changes. So....updates inspired by VW caliber update? Pretty soon car companies are going to come up w/ a new paint colour and call it a new generation of car....
I actually don't mind an evolutionary approach to the exterior if there are lots of good under-the-skin changes (weight reduction, improvement in how the car drives, better fuel economy, etc) and interior changes. Car styling has, IMHO, gotten so bizarre and unpleasant (I hate the new Lexus coupe, although apparently I'm the only one) that I actually don't look forward to some new models, unless the previous model was really ugly....

I also do not like the emphasis (obsession?) car manufacturers have w/ "infotainment" systems. Honestly, the millenials that will end up being the main car buyers when the rest of us are dead and gone probably could care less about those features, truth be told....
Old 01-14-2016, 08:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post

I also do not like the emphasis (obsession?) car manufacturers have w/ "infotainment" systems. Honestly, the millenials that will end up being the main car buyers when the rest of us are dead and gone probably could care less about those features, truth be told....
As a millenial...I would completely disagree with this. Why wouldn't we care about the technological/interface features of the vehicle, when that has dominated most of our lives? If anything, I think infotainment systems are a bigger deal to millenials as they enter the age/financial phase of our lives where we can afford to purchase a new vehicle. That's a huge reason for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto...

Last edited by pjl35; 01-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:05 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Look, whatever you say. I should (always) have known better than trying a pissing match with a know-it-all. But for completeness, YOU wrote:

"With BMW and Audi standing still by churning out new cars that look a decade old, Lincoln could easily market the Continental against that stasis, grab customers wanting style and a bit more spaciousness for the price." I LOL at you.
When people lose a debate for lack of wit they say "whatever" because logical reasoning says that th Continental, Genesis G90, and Cadillac CT6--IF INCENTIVIZED RIGHT--could make inroads on BMW and Audi's sales.

The segment is EXTREMELY fickle and OFTEM votes with its dollars rather than their fanboy love of BMW or Audi.

The Germans just got spanked with the LC500.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I actually don't mind an evolutionary approach to the exterior if there are lots of good under-the-skin changes (weight reduction, improvement in how the car drives, better fuel economy, etc) and interior changes. Car styling has, IMHO, gotten so bizarre and unpleasant (I hate the new Lexus coupe, although apparently I'm the only one) that I actually don't look forward to some new models, unless the previous model was really ugly....

I've gotta disagree...The infotainment is SO important now adays. As a bit of a tech junkie - I like how fast / intuitive these have become...going from my CX7 to my Optima (with their good infotainment system - not UVO), I was shocked at the leapfrogging that happened, and how much more enjoyable the experience was! Imagine being able to touch a screen to access your song playlists - the same way you do on your smart phone?! Wicked.

I DO appreciate the improvements in mileage / handling as well. However I find that the mileage increases are so modestly incremental, you barely notice them. And usually the #'s spouted by the PR folks are VERY suspect....a 5% improvement on highway Ltr per 100km (which is aspirational at best) might result in maybe a ..25 extra liters per 100km...

Wait until there is something meaningful to do (communicate REAL WORLD) results - and that interests me!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
That's a huge reason for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto...
Well, that's sort of my point. I think auto makes should just create an interface that allows the center console screen to mirror what's on your smartphone. With all the things pertaining to the car itself that manfacturers need to focus on, they will NEVER (IMHO) be able to match the speed of updates that Apple, Samsung, etc., can do every every few months (cars typically get facelifted every 3-4 yrs or so). So why even bother trying?