Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 12:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Looks like the usual update to the 5-year plan is happening tomorrow. Some rumours are that they'll finally kill Chrysler. Which is beyond stupid - sell them ... at least make some money from it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/30/...ectric-hybrid/
Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Looks like the usual update to the 5-year plan is happening tomorrow. Some rumours are that they'll finally kill Chrysler. Which is beyond stupid - sell them ... at least make some money from it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/30/...ectric-hybrid/
The value of the Chrysler name is long depleted so it has no value to be sold.

The reports I've seen show the Fiat brand in a full retreat out of markets and relying on markets with low profitability.

They also show Alfa Romeo and Maserati merging into one division. That indicates that Sergio's plan of reinvigorating two dead premium brands has failed because neither is well enough to stand alone. Maserati's products are either dated (Ghibli and Qporte) or not selling as hoped (Levante). The Giulia is a disaster for sales volume in its segment and the Stelvio isn't doing much better.

Which leaves the profit center Jeep/Ram/Dodge alive and well.

This shuffling around feels more like they are getting ready for a sell out to GAC or Geely both of which wanted them.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:02 PM

Not all that long ago that they were saying about Dodge what they're now saying about Chrysler. Let's wait and see what actually happens. If the rumors about Chrysler were real Allpar has not posted anything about it.

1968 HEMI Dodge Charger R/T
2006 HEMI Dodge Charger R/T
2012 HEMI Dodge Durango Citadel
2013 2.0 Dodge Dart Limited
2007 Honda Rebel
2001 Honda FourTrax Rancher ES
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI x 3 View Post
Not all that long ago that they were saying about Dodge what they're now saying about Chrysler. Let's wait and see what actually happens. If the rumors about Chrysler were real Allpar has not posted anything about it.
...because Dodge is doing so well, unlike Chrysler? Hardly...they might as well kill of Dodge while they're at it.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

they need to either kill it or come out with a lineup of rebadged Jeeps ASAP, similar to the Jaguar SUV relationship to Land Rover.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The value of the Chrysler name is long depleted so it has no value to be sold.

The reports I've seen show the Fiat brand in a full retreat out of markets and relying on markets with low profitability.

They also show Alfa Romeo and Maserati merging into one division. That indicates that Sergio's plan of reinvigorating two dead premium brands has failed because neither is well enough to stand alone. Maserati's products are either dated (Ghibli and Qporte) or not selling as hoped (Levante). The Giulia is a disaster for sales volume in its segment and the Stelvio isn't doing much better.

Which leaves the profit center Jeep/Ram/Dodge alive and well.

This shuffling around feels more like they are getting ready for a sell out to GAC or Geely both of which wanted them.
I think there is actually value in the Chrysler brand. Not a lot - but there is value. IF IF IF they introduced a drop dead gorgeous 300, CUV, compact CUV and yes - a midsized sedan, this brand could be salvaged. Chrysler WAS known as style, value and luxury - almost what a Buick was supposed to be... but again, it'd take $$$ to make that happen...only a few companies could afford to give them (yet another) lease on life....

Comments on Fiat / Alpha and Mass are spot on.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I'm sure some Chinese car brand would buy up chrysler but not under this admin.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Tomorrow/Friday June 1st is the big day. We're all waiting with baited breath.

I see mixed reports regarding Chrysler division - one says that it could get the axe, and another says that it would only be sold in the USA or North America, and nowhere else. Chrysler is whittled down to two model lines, and if Chrysler gets cut, I see the aging 300 sedan getting phased out and the successful Pacifica becoming a Dodge model. When Plymouth was cut, the forgotten Breeze sedan was phased out, and the Voyager minivan became a budget Chrysler branded model, as well as the Prowler halocar being rebadged a Chrysler.

There was rumors in the past that Dodge would be cut, especially as Ram spun off to it's own division, and the model lineup could be absorbed into other divisions, whether it was Chrysler, or perhaps SRT would have continued as a stand-alone division. Now Dodge is the one getting the attention with it's American Muscle stigma, and placed above Chrysler in the food-chain, and after decades of being the step below Chrysler. Recently, several reports surfaced about return of the Dodge Viper returning, but with V8 engine levels and choices, and no longer the V10. One rumor has an all-new space-frame chassis with aluminum, and another has it based on the next-generation Maserati Gran Turismo. Another wait and see, and also one that's hopeful.

Fiat may leave the USA and China markets, and reports indicated that it could be reduced to two models, the 500 and the Panda. This is all unconfirmed, but it's reported that Italy will build the upmarket division models, and no longer the smaller models in FCA's lineup.

Then, there's the real forgotten FCA division, Lancia, which only has one small model, and in Europe. I can see a phaseout with that, and it wouldn't be missed.

Word has it about operations of Maserati and Alfa-Romeo being merged, and I'm hoping to see investment and growth here. I hope for more products, with the reported additional and smaller SUV at Maserati, plus the new-generation of the Gran Turismo, and an Alfieri being given the green-light. Reports are allegedly confirmed at Alfa-Romeo of the larger SUV and coupe models (I believe both two and four-door types), along with hybrid models that are said to be quite high-performing.

Of course, there are the cash-cows such as Jeep, Ram, and I believe Dodge is placed into this, too. I'm hoping to see some expansion. What I'm looking forward to are the large Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer at Jeep, said to be BOF and based on the Ram 1500 underpinnings. At Ram, I hope to see more and high-performance variants of the Ram models, but, I also wish that a large SUV variant of the Ram was in the cards, too. I heard that it's off the table, likely why it's going to Jeep. I woudln't mind seeing a mid-sized pickup in Ram's product line, too. At Dodge, I hope for a new Journey that's based on the Alfa-Romeo RWD Georgio platform, which was reported in the past. Of course, new-generation Charger and Challenger models, and with choices of Hemi V8s of varying levels, still, and the Durango to get a follow-up generation. I'm also hoping for the new Viper to get the green light!

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall of some of the meeting rooms, or design-studios, but, tomorrow/Friday, the wait is over!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI x 3 View Post
...If the rumors about Chrysler were real Allpar has not posted anything about it.
Allpar is horribly unreliable because they report wild speculation as fact and "shoulda" as actuality. They're probably thinking "Oh crap! There goes our website down the drain.' It's so laughably fake news it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
I'm sure some Chinese car brand would buy up chrysler but not under this admin.
I predict Dodge/Jeep/Ram sold to the Chinese.

Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Maserati spun off as an Italian company with an engineering agreement with the Chinese buyer for platform sharing.

This would be a brilliant move for Geely.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I predict Dodge/Jeep/Ram sold to the Chinese.

Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Maserati spun off as an Italian company with an engineering agreement with the Chinese buyer for platform sharing.

This would be a brilliant move for Geely.
That scenario sounds like a complete sellout or a dismantling, or even a liquidation of FCA. Jeep and Ram are the cash-cows, too. That would be interesting of Fiat/Alfa-Romeo/Maserati was spun off and grouped with Ferrari, which is what made up the company before FCA was formed.

I see Lancia being left to die off.