Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Raconteur

They look like chops to me...nice ones, but chops.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
They look like chops to me...nice ones, but chops.
The ones i posted? Of course they are, there was not doubt about it I'm hoping for something more dramatic personally, something a bit closer to the new Taurus but with some European tones at the back...or not

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
The next MKZ is supposed to be related only mechanically to the Fusion, in the same way the ES or TL are related to the Camry and Accord. It's a good strategy if the new MKZ doesn't get a baleen whale face like the MKT.

It's fine if the entry-level Lincolns are FWD - just see how well Cadillac has done with the Equinox-based SRX - but like Cadillac they could really use some RWD halo cars to give them the image of an actual luxury brand instead of an American Acura, which unfortunately seems to be what they're shooting for.
This is where I was trying to get at. I understand that Lexus has a front-wheel drive sedan, but every other sedan it sells is RWD. Acura/Saab/Volvo aren't perceived as being in the same league as Lexus, and this is probably because all of their cars are FWD.

So far, Audi has been the only brand to succeed with selling FWD cars, such as the A3, A4 and A6 (and AWD variations of those models). Lincoln may be able to succeed with its FWD strategy, but it will take more than just marketing and the offering of AWD versions.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

If those chops are accurate, it could look very good indeed. Now, given Ford's pricing, I wonder what a top level would cost?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superamerica View Post

So far, Audi has been the only brand to succeed with selling FWD cars, such as the A3, A4 and A6 (and AWD variations of those models). Lincoln may be able to succeed with its FWD strategy, but it will take more than just marketing and the offering of AWD versions.
ABSOLUTELY!

And it's taken Audi DECADES to achieve that.

NOT taking Lincoln RWD is just nuts. They were on the right track with the LS except they forgot to spring for good styling and coupe and convertible should have been pulled off the platform for Lincoln.

There was no magic in the LS. The CTS and the Chrysler 300C have the "it" factor. How ironic it is that Chrysler has a better shot at equalling Cadillac than Lincoln.

Lincoln needs a huge rethink on its styling. The current face is garish. Moreover, their alphabet soup naming is stunningly dumb. I'd rather see names.

Lincoln Sentinel instead of MKZ
Lincoln Continental instead of MKS
Lincoln Mark IX on a coupe or coupesedan on the Fusion chassis

All Ford will succeed in doing will be to create a new Mercury which used to be restyled Fords with more chrome. Where is Lincoln's hook? Should it be the first all-hybrid luxury brand?? Just making prettier Fords won't work.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Is there a thread for this development yet...

Spy photos of the actual body. Looks gorgeous. Apparently they will be offering it with full LED headlights and Ford has vowed to include LED headlight options on all vehicles...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...os-future_cars

Its like an XJ, A7 and Rapid all had a baby with a Mondeo. I mean that in a good way...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 PM
CSS Veteran

Why are some of the shots of a camoed european Mondeo??
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM

C&D lumps their galleries together...old mechanical mules mixed with newer shots of the actual production body.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 AM

I think Ford has done an amazing job with most of their cars (and trucks) recently. The same obviously cannot be said for Lincoln. The MKZ was a tremendous flop. The car couldn't be sold in Europe if Lincoln's life depended on it.

To say that the base Lincoln can acceptably be based on a front wheel drive platform is not true. If Cadillac doesn't do it, then if Lincoln wants to compete, neither should they. If I thought that there was some kind of Audi philosophy at work over at Lincoln I might give them the benefit of a doubt, but their track record speaks for itself. The only thing driving decisions at Lincoln is cost and an old man's idea of 1941 design.

It's amazing to me that Ford can do such a great job and Lincoln is so far off the mark for their segment. I've said it before and I'll likely say it again, there are a lot of people at Lincoln who should be fired.

And if Lincoln is supposed to fill the Buick roll, what fills the Lincoln void? The fact is there is no plan at Lincoln other than to cheapen the brand because they don't know what they are doing. We've all seen the recent Cadillac Ciel which to me looks a lot like some past Lincoln studies.

I know I'm harsh, but historically Lincoln's decisions have been mind boggling.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Shots like this one http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...cd_gallery.jpg remind me so much of the greenhouse side view on the Taurus two generations ago. http://meandrichard.files.wordpress....taurus-003.jpg

Thats not a bad thing.