Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
The alternative would be a bespoke platform for the Defender which could mean an even more expensive vehicle.
I know a new platform would not have been cheap, but either pull a '05 Mustang and decontent a higher grade platform and say add a solid rear axle, or just co-develop with e.g. Jeep (remember, the very first Land Rover started form a jeep chassis as well). Also, given the size of the Defender, probably the next gen Evoque platform (at one point LR will have to develop something entirely new and ditch teh Ford EUCD bones) could have made a smaller and lighter starting point, given the smaller LRs are quite capable off road as well, especially if as it was with the LR2/Freelander, quite short overhangs and a lot of ground clearance is added)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Apparently in an interview, the design head of LR said the Defender will have "polarizing" styling, and that they aren't looking to the past for design elements. It won't be as utilitarian. So it's either going to look like a butch disco or it will go the opposite direction and more towards the Rezvani.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 AM

During a speech of Gerry McGovern (Chief Design Officer at Land Rover) the following sketch was shown in the background:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defender 2019 Scetch.jpg (74.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
During a speech of Gerry McGovern (Chief Design Officer at Land Rover) the following sketch was shown in the background:

Looks like a modern Defender. But now if LR turns that Defender into the new G Wagon, it will also be worthless. I am more thinking about its technical details, how durable and reliable it will be. If it gets full independent suspension, I hope it will be something significant. By the way, they better forget the air-suspension if it is cheaply made.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Looks like a modern Defender. But now if LR turns that Defender into the new G Wagon, it will also be worthless. I am more thinking about its technical details, how durable and reliable it will be. If it gets full independent suspension, I hope it will be something significant. By the way, they better forget the air-suspension if it is cheaply made.
I agree, the little we see - and LR pointed out they'll keep the Defender rather secretive, because of Chinese copies (Landwind Evoque anyone?) - does look like whata modern Defender should.

I also hope they keep it more "Jeep Wrangler" than "Mercedes G", and at least don#t include stuff like air suspension as standard, as it is known to break, something a Defender shouldn't.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-10562667.html

New mule driving around, looking way more "off road worthy" tha before; Also this is the short (3 door) version likely....

It seems that size wise it will stay rather cloe to the old Defender, judging by the stance of this hacked RR Sport