There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2020, 11:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

cuisine is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/fi...box=1599038579

Last edited by pjl35; 09-02-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:08 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

I think technically these are still leaks, but anyway; I think it is super evolutionary, and I think the few parts changed all look less stately than before (the rear lights could now be from an A-CLass as well, and the front grille looks more plasticky than before);

Inside, it seems tech and screen real estate was chosen over a more timeless and expensive looking theme, time will tell if that gaes well, compared to say a generally more luxurious looking interior of the new model.

LAst but not least, even if technically certainly helpful, that angled rear wheel on the one pic looks actually more like it had a very unpleasant drift attempt ending in a curb. And god help from the moment that electronics will break (and they will, once it's an older Mercedes out of warranty)
Old 09-02-2020, 02:33 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Hi res pics/full details here: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/20...images-videos/

Edited first post for clearer pics.

Last edited by pjl35; 09-02-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

1. still don't like the ipad screen instead of a more integrated instrument cluster. the entire interior would look much classier, especially the center screen, had the tablet look been nixed.
2. would've turned off the rear wheel steering for press photos.

overall, I'm sure this will remain a class leader though. beautiful exterior without all the fussiness of previous generations, although oddly styled after the A class instead of the other way around. rear end (turned wheels aside) looks especially beautiful in this shot:

Last edited by IcedG35; 09-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Personally I like it, it is more evolutionary than revolutionary but that is not always a bad thing. If the design ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:07 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

I think it's beautiful. Not necessarily ground breaking, but a nice evolution outside. I really like the current Mercedes design language and how clean it is.

And I love the minimal interior. The screen is integrated in an interesting way. I do hope the materials can be played with in the configurator. I'm not sold on the striped whatever that is.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

The official pics don't change my opinion much from the spy pics. I think cautious evolution for a true iconic flagship is not just okay; I think it is the way it "should" be.

Having said that, the same sausage-diferent lengths only works successfully, IMHO, when it trickles down from the top. All other MB sedans should look like an S-Class; the S-Class should never be taking design cues from the cheapest sedan it makes.

I like the simplicity of the exterior and how it hasn't been blinged out. But the A-Class taillights are a bit disappointing (couldn't MB have made it more like the outgoing S-Class coupe's lights, if they were so keen on the horizontal motif?). I also think the side character line is strangely fussy on what is otherwise an almost futuristically "simple" profile.

The proportions are a bit curious. A sleek front end, a rounded and graceful greenhouse, and a curiously pulled-taffy trunk (that looks positively... Korean). It looks great from some angles and just a bit unharmonious from other angles.

Alas, the grille has been stretched to fit the Panamerica grille (the debut video mentioned that this would be a design feature on some cars, I think). Unfortunate, since the traditional MB grille does not look right w/ Panamerica proportions.

Again, not a fan of screens, but the interior is, IMHO, a total knock out (as it should be w/ the S-Class).

I don't see anything changing w/ this being the defining car of its class.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post

Alas, the grille has been stretched to fit the Panamerica grille (the debut video mentioned that this would be a design feature on some cars, I think). Unfortunate, since the traditional MB grille does not look right w/ Panamerica proportions.
*Panamericana

Although I don't understand what "stretching" the grille has to do with the Panamericana grille "fitting"? That grille is just a specific type/look...so not sure why it needs to be a certain size since it varies on all other MB models?

Last edited by pjl35; 09-02-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:18 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

I think it looks quite good. The screen-heavy interior gives me some pause, but that's the way things are going these days. As long as it's a reasonably easy to use interface it should be fine. This certainly looks better than any of its competitors, none of whom are really in top form at the moment, design-wise.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
*Panamericana
I suspected I had gotten it wrong (I've done that a lot for that grille).

What I mean about the proportions is.... My impression (since I haven't pulled out the tape measure) is that the grille proportions on MB sedans vs. coupes have generally been quite different (since they generally have used quite different grille designs). And so the traditional sedan radiator grille does not, IMHO, look "correct" when applied to the coupe-proportioned grille (which emphasizes width and relatively low height). This is particularly apparently when you look at older MB sedans that have aftermarket replacement grilles (w/ the central large 3-pointed star).

The Panamericana grille, to my eye, is proportioned in a similar way to the grille on MB coupes (we'll call this the "sport" grille). And, even prior to the Panamericana, the grille space on all current MB sedans seem to have been primary designed to accommodate the coupe-style grille.

Current MB styling has the grille w/ chamfered (not sure if that's the right word) edges where the top of the grille meets the sides. And currently MB styling also has a very pronounced "lip" surrounding the sport grille. The chamfered edges and lip are hidden w/ the traditional grilles on the C- and E-Class.

MB has not hidden those details w/ the new S-Class and the look is, IMO, bordering on vulgar. And the proportions seem "off" the new S-Class grille space also seems to have been primarily designed w/ the Panamericana grille in mind. And, while I like the overall simplicity of the design, but it's a bit TOO unadorned?

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 09-03-2020 at 07:52 AM.