currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Default VW I.D. VIZZION

https://www.slashgear.com/vw-id-vizz...show-19519967/

VW I.D. VIZZION
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Meh...another pointless concept car. Give us the 21st century electric funky vans and vehicles we have been waiting for already.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-20-2018, 08:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Meh...another pointless concept car. Give us the 21st century electric funky vans and vehicles we have been waiting for already.
Before that, we will certainly see yet 4 I.D. and 2 Micro Bus concepts, and 5 studies proving how clean Diesels in fact are....
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Raconteur

So this supposedly is VW's future? If that's true, how did the Oldsmobile Jetta happen. I mean the Jetta is a clean-sheet design as it has moved from NCS to MQB, but it looks at least a decade old.

Is the rumor true that the next one is going to be I.D. On'tgiveadamn?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/5/17...ile-range-2022

VW I.D. Vizzion
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 AM

Pointless concept.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Concepts, concepts, concpets...

Meanwhile Jaguar has the i-Pace, Hyundai a Kona Electric with impressive range, and VW is bringing yet another concept, whilst 3 of 4 engines of the new A6 are still Diesels....
Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Concepts, concepts, concpets...

Meanwhile Jaguar has the i-Pace, Hyundai a Kona Electric with impressive range, and VW is bringing yet another concept, whilst 3 of 4 engines of the new A6 are still Diesels....
IMO they can get away with this - they were often late to the game (like for ex. compact SUV in Europe, but when they finally released Tiguan, they destroyed competition(with regards to sales).

Another thing is that probably 95% of people buying car this or next year will most likely choose ICE, even if they're planning to switch to electric at some point. So not having an electric ready for sale at this point doesn't matter that much.

I believe we will see serious advancements in terms of range, battery size and weight, and most importantly cost in the next few years - and this will make current electric vehicles being outdated fast and depreciate quickly. So having more time to perfect the technology a bit might not turn out to be such a bad move.

While for a smaller manufacturer like Jaguar it is a wise move to have an electric right now, so they can steal the early adopters from the other brands, such giant as VAG will probably be safe if they wait a bit longer. And when they finally release it, they should have enough customers willing to switch their old VW for a new electric one.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

It's not the question whether they can get away with it - it's the self declared technological leadership, that really isn't anywhere to be seen. With the whole - thanks to the VW started Diesel scandal - accelerated switch to electric cars (and hybrids), it will certainly be wise not to be the last to the game, especially if you want to be a "tech" company and not just offering a mode of transport (those people nowadays have plenty of choice of cheap brands)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:41 PM

I think you have it completely wrong. It's all about getting away with it.

VAG is a corporation, so it main aim is to make money, and doing so by providing value to its customers.
They clearly have this part worked out as they move over 10 mil vehicles year after year, and have very good financial results despite all the emissions scandal. So it seems that customers are happy, image isn't that damaged and the balance sheet looks good.

Not having an electric on sale at the moment doesn't hurt them much, because most of their customers aren't willing to buy an electric at this moment anyway, and it probably won't put them away from buying VAG product in a few years time. So future prospects are most likely good as well.

Those stating that they should present technological leadership most probably wouldn't buy it right now, even if it was available.
Is BMW considered more high tech than Mercedes by offering an I3? Probably not. Many consider it as a flop and it's not exactly presenting technological leadership over Tesla.
This is the company that has the most high tech image, and it'll be very difficult for any traditional manufacturer to compete with them image wise at least short term. So maybe it's wiser for the big players to perfect their offerings instead of releasing half-baked products.

I don't know if in VW's case it's a strategic decision or they simply aren't capable to deliver a viable EV option to the market fast, but the point is if they deliver good EVs in the coming years, they shouldn't have any problems staying one of the largest manufacturers in the world, while posting good financial results along the way.
Car manufacturing is a complicated business and to be an important player good product offering is not sufficient. You need to have manufacturing capabilities and sales network coverage to be able to move large quantities. Just look how Tesla(some would argue if their offerings are good vehicles) is struggling to deliver.

So the point is if only VAG offers reasonable EVs in few years time, their market future is safe. And you wouldn't buy VAG's EV if it was available today so why all the hate?