Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

I recommend a look at the following site:
http://www.clutchd.com/2009/11/chrys...sed-cars.html/

It's Chrysler's previous five-year plan. Interestingly, some of the cars mentioned there never came out and were now just moved to the new plan (new minivans. Chrysler CUV, Ram DoblÚ, ...). Some others have even completely vanished (small cars and midsize truck for example)...
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

A plan is just that...sometimes given the market conditions - the plan needs to change, be re-evaluated and adapted. 5 years ago, Fiat was just acquiring Chrysler - and didn't know much about the brand strengths / weaknesses. So, likely at the time, they though the initial direction was the right one - and that's what they aspired to. However, market conditions likely dictated the change....So, compact cars were put on hold given the initial lack luster performance of the 500 in NA; why invest in something that (at the time) was a small market player w/ little profitability when they should invest in a 200 or products like the Cherokee?

I'm ok if plans change. It shows the company is paying attention to what they're good at - and adapting. I'd be more disappointed if they'd come out w/ rushed products that were un-competitive because they wanted to adhere to an initial plan.

With the exception of this last quarter (which had some meaningful one time charges), Chrysler / Fiat has repaid it's debts, introduced new products that are competitive and selling on their own merit versus $'s on the hood and most importantly - made money doing it. Yes, Swiz (in advance) - the previous gen 200/Avenger were polished turds - BUT - given where the company was at the time, they were the right decisions - and have made money (despite the deals being offered)

We might not agree w/ the decisions - or wish for faster innovation (myself included in these desires) - but their making headway.

Last edited by Crash; 05-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

A strong start to the new 200! Well done team Chr-co! When will we see these in showrooms??

Hopefully this sustains and builds credibility for them. The Dart and more saliently, the Cherokee are great products; albeit the Cherokee is doing much better than the Dart - but that doesn't mean the Dart is a crappy products.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/15/2...rders-one-day/
Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
A strong start to the new 200! Well done team Chr-co! When will we see these in showrooms??

Hopefully this sustains and builds credibility for them. The Dart and more saliently, the Cherokee are great products; albeit the Cherokee is doing much better than the Dart - but that doesn't mean the Dart is a crappy products.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/15/2...rders-one-day/
The Dart definitely is not as good a drive as a Civic or a Focus. The drivetrains leave a bit to be desired, in much the same vein that the Jetta with the "two point slow" and the truly terrible 2.5 kept the Jetta from being a class leader. The Cherokee seems much more refined than a Dart. With any luck the 200 is another advancement. The Dart needs a serious updating and fast.

The 10K orders the first day for the 200 are "dealer" orders which means Chrysler is pushing 10K units out to dealers initially. 10K people did not walk into Chrysler dealers and demand to order a 200. Though I think the 10K will sell, this is a numbers manipulation. The 10K number represents 3-4 cars per dealer so just a fraction of the real push out to dealers.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Yes, but that is standard practice in the industry. 10K was day one, 17K by day two. Yes, they're dealer orders - but dealers would only order that QTY if consumers were looking for it.

I agree - the Dart needs some help. And not $'s on the hood help; marketing help....I think they messed up the launch of that one. W/ the 200, they brought all the key segment cars in and offered comparison test drives...they didn't do that w/ the Dart (at least to my recollection). By offering comparison drives - they showed they weren't afraid of the competition...at all. Good for them.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Yes, but that is standard practice in the industry. 10K was day one, 17K by day two. Yes, they're dealer orders - but dealers would only order that QTY if consumers were looking for it...
That is NOT how it works. Repeat after me. Chrysler was not sitting there waiting for dealers to configure 10,000 orders one by one and send them in. Also, if these were actually dealer-made orders what are the odds that exactly 10K units were ordered?

The 200 has success written all over it. It will sell. BUT...

Manufacturers base their push out to dealers on the volume of the dealer for one thing and also they configure that volume on what they think will sell. Dealers do not order every car that comes into their inventory. Yes dealers want this car. Dealers can order (i.e. configure) some of the volume, but manufacturers push out allotment to dealers based on what research says will sell. All allotment is a dealer "order".

Chrysler dealers do not have customers lined up waiting for the 200. This segment is very much cross shopped and comes down to having product on the lot and having the wiggle room to make deals. Dealers are no doubt chomping at the bit to get this on the lot.

My guess is that they will do like they did with the Cherokee. With the Cherokee they pushed out a lot of product but dealers had start up incentives from Chrysler so they could make deals with customers and make it appear there was a buying frenzy. Manufacturers usually have money to dealers when a new model is pushed out to prime the pump.

The 10K + 17K units is just Chrysler trying to gin up positive press. I find it kind of ridiculous because I really think this kind of fake "Hey, the 200 is a success" BS is unnecessary because the car is going to be a success.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I for one am hoping that Chrysler will not screw up with this launch, the way the Dart was fumbled with bad model mix. The Cherokee was an engineering/software issue.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Raconteur

In this segment, it is surprising how many base models are sold.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
That is NOT how it works. Repeat after me. Chrysler was not sitting there waiting for dealers to configure 10,000 orders one by one and send them in. Also, if these were actually dealer-made orders what are the odds that exactly 10K units were ordered?
Between Canada and the US, there are 2,800 dealerships. That works out to 6 cars per dealership (based upon the 17K #) - to me this doesn't seem unreasonable on an average per dealership basis.

Auto companies DO need to solicit their dealers to see how many cars are needed to launch a product. Obviously not all the cars will ship day one as the factory is ramping up production AND the article stated it's enough to keep production running till July (at full capacity).

Yes, there is some PR hype in the numbers meant to instill a sense of confidence and urgency within the market; however, an initial 17K order from dealerships is a pretty strong vote of confidence!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Raconteur

A manufacturer does market research to determine the initial mix. They solicit dealer input after the car goes on sale to see if the initial market research was accurate. I placed a call to a buddy at the local Chrysler dealer. He said dealers were informed of what they were getting. Their initial allotment: 10 cars (4 base, 4 mid level, 2 high end).