Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Vantage is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Jaguar F-Type

First rumors about a successor of the current Jaguar F-Type from Georg Kacher (who in my view is one of the best informed motoring journalists):

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/jaguar/f-type/

What I find especially interesting is him revealing details about "Project Jennifer". It is the codename for the BMW-supplied 4.4-litre 560bhp twin-turbo V8, which is due to kick out the long-running supercharged 5.0-litre V8 originally patented by Ford.

According to my modest sources, this engine will be modified with a 48-Volt-Mild-Hybrid system. And this engine will also power the next generation Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Moving the F Type down market say to a $50K base so that it is an attainable halo for the brand would be the move.

So Mercedes is essentially swallowing Aston with technological "sharing" and now BMW is "sharing" its way into JLR???
Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 AM

Vantage is on a distinguished road

The rumor that BMW will supply V8 engines to JLR is something that has been published already 18 months ago. And it would make perfect sense. Development and production of these engine types require a certain volume that both manufacturers can noch reach individually.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
...Development and production of these engine types require a certain volume that both manufacturers can noch reach individually.
No. BMW has no problem with volume. Jaguar has the volume problem and they do not have sufficient profits to be sustainable, so they are going engine buying. What's next? A Jaguar Z4?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
No. BMW has no problem with volume. Jaguar has the volume problem and they do not have sufficient profits to be sustainable, so they are going engine buying. What's next? A Jaguar Z4?
Unfortunately, that'S not unlikely at some point; Sports cars are low volume models, thus making a bespoke platform is a big task, even for a car maker with a large volume, like BMW, or Toyota, let alone Jaguar; So I'm afraid a Jaguar Z4 (or Supra) is more likely than we wish....

But I'm fine as long as the lovely (if overpriced) F-Type get's replaced with a RWD 2 seater and doesn't transform into some SUV coupe thing with 4 door.....
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Didn't earlier reports indicate that Jag wanted to revive the XK as a 2+2 GT to go against Aston Martin? Which would be ridiculous in my opinion since A. Jag has nowhere near the cachet as AM and B. This would mean a price increase which can't be justified by brand value alone.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:08 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
...This would mean a price increase which can't be justified by brand value alone.
Jaguar needs to get a big clue and should take to XF down market to a 3 Series price, the XJ down to a 5 Series price but keep the size in both cases. Given the steep discounts to move Jaguars, that price shift probably isn't any loss but the gain would be to lose the notion currently that Jaguars are overpriced for what you get. They need a large crossover. The F Type should be repositioned to be priced like a high-end Mustang GT/CamaroSS or base Corvette and sell it like hell. The XK needs to be a regal, true four-place coupe for about $75K. Top it off with a "Hyundai" warranty.

Jaguar like Cadillac needs to be in the business of buying market share.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
Didn't earlier reports indicate that Jag wanted to revive the XK as a 2+2 GT to go against Aston Martin? Which would be ridiculous in my opinion since A. Jag has nowhere near the cachet as AM and B. This would mean a price increase which can't be justified by brand value alone.
Well if they decide to revive the XK - I never really got why it was killed of, given that it could trace back it's roots over the XJS, E-Type and XK120 all the way to the beginnings of Jaguar - it can still work as a competitor to the SL, BMW 8 series or Maserati GC, and, if executed right, could be a good looking car; Problem is, that the F-Type has been priced well into the area, where actually a XK would belong (in other words : the F-Type is to expensive for what it is, despite me loving the car), so If that car comes as say a BMW 8 series relative, it would be too expensive certainly.....
Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well if they decide to revive the XK - I never really got why it was killed of, given that it could trace back it's roots over the XJS, E-Type and XK120 all the way to the beginnings of Jaguar - it can still work as a competitor to the SL, BMW 8 series or Maserati GC, and, if executed right, could be a good looking car; Problem is, that the F-Type has been priced well into the area, where actually a XK would belong (in other words : the F-Type is to expensive for what it is, despite me loving the car), so If that car comes as say a BMW 8 series relative, it would be too expensive certainly.....
Not sure about international pricing, but here in the UK, the F-Type is priced just above the Porsche 718, so I'm quite surprised to see that it has been priced much higher internationally. Still overpriced in my opinion though as I feel it would feel like a better fit if it were sat between the Z4 / SLC and the 718.

On a side note, I love the F-Type too. A colleague of mine drives the roadster. It's the first Jaguar I can get behind in terms of styling execution since... well... a very long time.

I think a new XK would have trouble going against anything from Germany if priced similarly, and there would be no way in hell it could go against AM. I really can't see a market for it except for the most ardent anglophones, or people wanting something more niche.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Well, where I live, the base F-Type is about 5.000 Euro more than a 718, with a similar gap between the Roadster and teh 718 Boxster; It seems a bit less expensive now, mostly because Porsche priced the Boxtster above the Cayman now (instead of below, but without making the coupe cheaper), and the 718 has no longer a flat six, so is more comparable to a 4 cylinder Jag; What I meant though were the typical transaction price for a 6 cylinder with a super charger and nicer wheels quickly approaches a 100k (and you really don#t want a Jaguar sports car with a 2 liter 4 banger), which is a lot for an entry level sports car; I guess it is also because people were expecting/hoping/given the illusion by magazines it would probably cost a bi below or around 50k EUR in most markets, and that back when teh base model was a 6 cylinder;

The XK ofcourse has not the name of Aston Martin, or Bentley (although a smaller SUV in the works by Bentley, especially if a rebadge, could water down their image greatly), but to be fair, Jaguar never positioned it against them, and didn't even price it close; The XK was always a bit of the segment bargain, with probably only the BMW 6 series (also devoid of the name/image of an SL or Porsche 911, tbh.) coming close, probably also a reason people thought the F-Type would be a similar bargain a segment below.