Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Damn, thought that was a laptop under the cover and was puzzled why they would cover up a laptop. Guess this is the direction of car interiors.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 PM

madskillz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Guess this is the direction of car interiors.
My screen is bigger than your screen!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

if you want to be able to read what's on that screen, don't drive the car during the day... and definitely not with the sunroof open.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
I feel like it's going to be the smartphone arms race all over again. I wonder at what point we'll be taking selfies through our in-car cameras?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Holy sh*t. One wonders what's left to design on a dashboard when it's all just huge screens. At least it gets rid of the tacked-on tablet look??? I guess it also makes mid-cycle facelifts cheaper to do since there housing that needs to be redone to accommodate the bigger screens. Wonder if they're trying to tempt the Tesla buyers w/ this. Can't say I blame any maker for trying to beat Tesla at its own (screen) game.

Aside from the huge screens, what's also somewhat fascinating is the angle at which the screen is placed. Very un-Mercedes (I would've actually thought it was a Porsche, had I not seen the thread title), but very ergonomically correct. And the center bin looks big enough to hide a dead body.

I haven't used MBUX, but one hopes that the interface is significant improved from the last COMAND (which was horrible).

BTW, "standard" MB sedans are getting so swoopy that I really don't see the point of the CLS....

Edit: is that a totally new steering wheel design? It seems to have only a single "wishbone" spoke. Hmmm....

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 02-14-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I feel like it's going to be the smartphone arms race all over again. I wonder at what point we'll be taking selfies through our in-car cameras?
It definitely is a race, especially the 3 German premium makers seem to be obsessed with each other, and constantly "my is bigger/more/more powerful/..". Also the obsession, that "tech gadgets", and especially again the sheer number of them, is the new luxury.

Thing is, a beautifully built interior still feels expensive, and classy after years, whilst tech gadgets trickle down in record time now, and after 5 years, every screen/interface/gimmick seems dated in comparison; These car will age horribly I predict, and will be a nightmare as an out of warranty used car, given nearly all switches will be replaced by software, and even the smallest problem will require a trip to the official dealership, with their astronomic rates.

I'm also looking forward to cracked and scratched screens once the whole center console is plastered with them....
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post

Edit: is that a totally new steering wheel design? It seems to have only a single "wishbone" spoke. Hmmm....
Yup, it's been spotted on the E-Class facelift as well as on the S-Class spy shots:

Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Not much new in the Autoblog pics, except that the door handles are no longer covered and appear to be flush w/ the rest of the door. It's an odd evolution for a company that bragged about its door handles being useful for leverage in the event of a car accident. Presumably the new car will have something to trigger the pop-out handles in the event of an accident?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/08/...-door-handles/

A swarm of camo'd S-Class is always interesting, and one of the cars seems to have a interior design from what we've seen previously....
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...n-133589.html#