Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road
Default 2020 Buick Encore

Maybe not the most exciting thing you'll read today, but it is Buick's biggest seller in the States.

https://www.motor1.com/news/235277/b...ed-first-time/
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

The funny thing is that this is largely developed by Opel (as it started back in GM times, when Opel would do small cars), but thanks to the PSA merger now they develop a car that they will never sell their badge version off, as it appears that the Insignia was the last "GM Opel", so even if there will be a next gen. Mokka X (which, given they have now the two..land Xs by PSA, I don't think there is a real requirement for anyway), it would not be this car anymore...
Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Actually, the current Sonic, Verano, Trax, and Encore ride on the Gamma II as engineered by GM Korea which had the lead role. Losing Opel is no big loss. The Trax/Encore replacement was no doubt far enough along when PSA bought GM's detritus that there will be similarities to an Opel, but the latter is certainly no Holy Grail of automotive excellence.

Last edited by swizzle; 03-08-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Actually, the current Sonic, Verano, Trax, and Encore ride on the Gamma II as engineered by GM Korea which had the lead role. Losing Opel is no big loss. The Trax/Encore replacement was no doubt far enough along when PSA bought GM's detritus that there will be similarities to an Opel, but the latter is certainly no Holy Grail of automotive excellence.
It's certainly not, I was just pointing out the weird situation that so far, all prototypes were caught in Germany, doing R&D by Opel, looking like one, being planned as one initially, yet it won't end up as one.

That said, Opel might not be a holly grail when it comes to small cars, but they rarely have been the general's finest hour either. They are okay, but generally something most - incl. Ford, excl. the initial EcoSport - do just a bit better.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:58 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
...I was just pointing out the weird situation that so far, all prototypes were caught in Germany, doing R&D by Opel...
Maybe not was weird as you think. PSA had to have gotten something besides Opel from GM like maybe some development agreement for a certain period of time (i.e. the development work Opel would have done) so as not to suddenly have a firing of an entire engineering division.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Maybe not was weird as you think. PSA had to have gotten something besides Opel from GM like maybe some development agreement for a certain period of time (i.e. the development work Opel would have done) so as not to suddenly have a firing of an entire engineering division.
I am aware of the agreements, it's just not that often that a company keeps developing for the "ex mother" or a competitor after a take over. Typically, the fate of cars in development is that of the Corsa replacement, which got scrapped - even though late in development. Only comparable situation i can think of was the BMW/Chrysler engine for the Mini, which mainly was a Chrysler development even after Mercedes tool over (you can still buy those engines in a Fiat nowadays as a result;)).

If not scrapped, the typical situation is that if they co developed something before, they keep going for both - the short Fiat/GM marriage would come to mind, with the Chroma and Alfa 159 using extensively the GM parts bin, although both being released after the break up, or the Corsa riding on the Grande Punto platform (again, after the break up).

However Opel does now have IMO enough compact cross overs (certainly though at some point they will start adding "coupes"), so the Mokka won#t really be missed, and likely they - or PSA, at least - get paid well for devolving the "Opel that did not become an Opel"
Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

teaser

brighter

Also looks like it was revealed in china by some govt agency,

In the teaser it appears that is the encore on the left and encore GX on the right, so a longer version of the encore? No idea, this looks like Opel designed it, if you slapped an Opel badge on it, you'd not think twice it was a rebadge. Not sure if this was developed with Opel and if it will become one, but this divorce of Opel from GM is odd.

I am assuming this is it, the windows match with the test cars.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

It's so... European looking. Although, had you told me this was a Nissan, I would believe you.

Either way, it's must better looking than the outgoing car. If only the Buick nameplate was appealing to folks who aren't a step away from the grave....
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

I actually like the current Encore. Not a bad looking vehicle.

This new style, while nice, is completely forgettable.If you had told me it's been on the market for 5 years now, I'd not be surprised.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Raconteur

This is by far and away better looking than the current awkward Encore. The "Opel designed it" comment is hilarious. Opel did not work in isolation from GM.