There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If you wish, the Golf a mediocre design, but no car is this class is better than mediocre. The real problem of the Golf is its price and its social status as a Porsche among the middle class people.
The Civic and Corolla are worlds better than a Golf.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 AM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The real problem of the Golf is its price and its social status as a Porsche among the middle class people.
what an incredible statement
Old 12-13-2018, 01:23 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

Based on majority of global reviews the Golf trumps every car in it's segment, especially in it's current Mk7/7.5 guises. I really don't see how you can just say the Corolla and even Civic are 'worlds better'. Can you explain, in all seriousness..?

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Based on majority of global reviews the Golf trumps every car in it's segment, especially in it's current Mk7/7.5 guises. I really don't see how you can just say the Corolla and even Civic are 'worlds better'. Can you explain, in all seriousness..?
As usual, you're pissy for the sake of being pissy.

You aren't interested in an explanation, so don't be disingenuous.

I'm impressed that you have taken time off to read all the global reviews ever written about the current Golf so as make the bold statement you made. That's a lot of reviews in numerous different languages.

The Corolla and Civic have better quality as evidenced by they far better reliability and durability versus the VW dealer service department queen that is expensive to fix and it WILL need a lot of fixing.

: vwlol:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM

madskillz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The Corolla and Civic have better quality as evidenced by they far better reliability and durability versus the VW dealer service department queen that is expensive to fix and it WILL need a lot of fixing.

This is very subjective statement.
While it is possible that Corolla and Civic might have better reliability (experience with cars sold in Europe doesn't necessarily prove it - unfortunately lots of problems with those cars as well) - this one single aspect doesn't make them ultimately better cars.

Outgoing Auris (Euro-Corolla hatch) was a very sh***y car to drive with build quality waaaay below Golf.
UK made Civic definitely isn't an example of excellent build quality either.

Please also take into account that repair costs may vary significantly across the regions - while obviously you cannot say VAG cars are completely problem-free, the big plus of having those cars in Europe is replacement parts are cheap and also very easy to get, with extensive service network while parts for Japanese cars are very often pricey as hell and some minor stuff can sometimes literally cost few times more than in VW case.

In general it's quite funny reading this forum - it turns out that lots of US consumers care mostly about pricing and reliability, while differences in built quality, handling, comfort, design and so on almost doesn't influence their purchases.

Like gimme cheap and problem-free, and who cares if it drives, feels and looks like s**t.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
it turns out that lots of US consumers care mostly about pricing and reliability, while differences in built quality, handling, comfort, design and so on almost doesn't influence their purchases.

Like gimme cheap and problem-free, and who cares if it drives, feels and looks like s**t.
Alas, I think it is probably what a great majority of US drivers want, unfortunately.

I just recently got a Golf Sportwagen and think it's pretty nice (for the price). Wish it were a bit quieter and had a larger bin below the armrest, but the driver position and seat are excellent, and the suspension is very sorted (although I think the tires let it down a bit).

We'll see what the reliability is like, but the warranty lasts a long time (6 yr/72k mi). ::knock on wood::

Haven't driven a Civic or Corolla, so I cannot compare.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:31 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As usual, you're pissy for the sake of being pissy.

You aren't interested in an explanation, so don't be disingenuous.

I'm impressed that you have taken time off to read all the global reviews ever written about the current Golf so as make the bold statement you made. That's a lot of reviews in numerous different languages.

Oh that makes much more sense now, thanks for the expert opinion. Fake news is your schlock, no surprises here. The irony of your comment though...the single reason why i stopped frequenting these forums is your garbage comments anyhow.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Oz Astra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe the watered down US model, but elsewhere in the world people would laugh in your face at that statement.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Astra View Post
Maybe the watered down US model, but elsewhere in the world people would laugh in your face at that statement.
Somehow I disbelieve that. Anywhere in the world a Corolla or Civic will simply last longer, be far less costly to repair, and be far more reliable.

The reason I disbelieve your statement is that the US market is extremely punishing of cars that are unreliable, not durable, and which have a high repair cost when they shouldn't because they are a mainstream brand. When that information gets out it can, and has, killed a model and in VW's case several times has nearly killed the brand.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

MrMGMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Somehow I disbelieve that. Anywhere in the world a Corolla or Civic will simply last longer, be far less costly to repair, and be far more reliable.

The reason I disbelieve your statement is that the US market is extremely punishing of cars that are unreliable, not durable, and which have a high repair cost when they shouldn't because they are a mainstream brand. When that information gets out it can, and has, killed a model and in VW's case several times has nearly killed the brand.
I wonder if you'll stick firmly to your line of the Civic being more long-lasting, cheaper to repair, and more reliable than the Golf when the inevitable reliability problems rear their ugly heads on British-built Civic hatchbacks?