CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,091
Default

Surely being lighter and more basic means it's more expensive? Following Porsche's model anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-22-2016, 04:08 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,036
Default

seems very "unFerrari" to start offering multiple engine options for the same car. higher performance version are common but V12 or V8, AWD or RWD is certainly a step away from tradition, or at least recent tradition.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 PM
turbonium959 turbonium959 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
seems very "unFerrari" to start offering multiple engine options for the same car. higher performance version are common but V12 or V8, AWD or RWD is certainly a step away from tradition, or at least recent tradition.
I was thinking that V12 model with AWD is just dropped altogether. It would make sense on several fronts. First, this model is not oriented towards your typical Ferrari owner. Ferrari is doing what Porsche did with the Panamera and that is getting more feet in the showroom that only care for the badge and nothing else. Secondly, smaller and boosted engine helps Ferrari with emissions and dropping AWD only makes it easier to build and maintain.
Ferrari sure did a hell of marketing campaign with the original FF, but I highly doubt any of the buyers actually drove their families and/or friends skiing in the Alps. The FF's AWD system was just a novelty anyway, considering that it only operated only in realistic driving conditions and would turn off once the going got fast :)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-23-2016, 12:24 AM
CosworthKid's Avatar
CosworthKid CosworthKid is offline
CSS Ford Psychopath
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,868
Default

Sexy! Wish i could afford one
__________________

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Blackraven Blackraven is offline
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,222
Default

I guess it's somewhat similar to what Lambo did for the Huracan (when they offered the LP-580-2). For Ferrari, this cheaper RWD with smaller engine version will give Ferrari:
-More sales (which is what Sergio wants for Ferrari)
&
-Lower emissions (to satisfy the hippies, eco-terrorists and the tree-hugging politicians in Europe and elsewhere)

That said, between the two engine/drivetrain choices, then decision for me is clear:

N/A V12 AWD > TT V8 RWD

-Higher redline
-Better exhaust note
-Driver will have less hassle driving in ice and snow
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Levi Levi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 849
Default

I don't like that Ferrari plays stupid.

First of all the weight savings are negligible, so no advantage for Turbo model. The AWD is more wet/snow friendly than RWD, but not a "real" AWD system, so the lack of AWD is will not transform this car into a track/fun beast. The lack of AWD does not significantly improve the already good rear biased weight distribution. The FI V8 sound just does not sound as NA V12 or even NA V8. Even if it might sound better than German FI V8, it is not significantly different, other than flat plane crank. The V8 might be kick better than the V12 because of the turbos, but turbos do not come anywhere close to electric motors. So any car maker claiming superiority of FI over NA, can skip ICE right to EV.

GTC4Lusso V12 over any other FI V8. Tesla/Mission-e over any Panamera/V8 Turbo.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 25,267
Default

The GTC4 Lusso could have a VW TDI under the hood and it would sell because it's sexy.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Levi Levi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The GTC4 Lusso could have a VW TDI under the hood and it would sell because it's sexy.
From what I noticed, the majority doesn't like the FF/GTC4. I'm a fan of 2 door shooting brakes. Dry sump naturally aspirated mid-front engine with transaxle, no other ICE configuration can be better. A shooting brake Porsche Cayman? Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 25,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
..A shooting brake Porsche Cayman? Maybe.
A mid-engined shooting brake? #PASS
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Blackraven Blackraven is offline
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't like that Ferrari plays stupid.

First of all the weight savings are negligible, so no advantage for Turbo model. The AWD is more wet/snow friendly than RWD, but not a "real" AWD system, so the lack of AWD is will not transform this car into a track/fun beast. The lack of AWD does not significantly improve the already good rear biased weight distribution. The FI V8 sound just does not sound as NA V12 or even NA V8. Even if it might sound better than German FI V8, it is not significantly different, other than flat plane crank. The V8 might be kick better than the V12 because of the turbos, but turbos do not come anywhere close to electric motors. So any car maker claiming superiority of FI over NA, can skip ICE right to EV.

GTC4Lusso V12 over any other FI V8. Tesla/Mission-e over any Panamera/V8 Turbo.
I agree with you.

Sure the twin turbo V8 sounds neat in the 488 Spider and works great there..........but for the GTC4, between the two engine choices, the decision is clear.

Btw, I did personally hear the V8 twin turbo in a 488 GTB. It is loud at start-up..........but mellows in once it starts idling. Then when it's on the move......you can hear the exhaust quite well

HOWEVER

It doesn't strike fear compared to the N/A V12 or even the N/A V8 used in the 458
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy