CSS Oldtimer

Looks great so far IMO
Old 01-09-2017, 04:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

More pics here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...ey-first-look/
Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Well it combines a down kink in the belt line with a floating D-pillar. Swizzle won't love it, and actually, me neither. It's a "seen here and seen there" design.....
Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well it combines a down kink in the belt line with a floating D-pillar. Swizzle won't love it, and actually, me neither. It's a "seen here and seen there" design.....
The floating roof does appear to be one of the better executed versions of it, I'll give them that, based on the rear view.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 PM
The Lurker

Wow. That is awful. This is coming from someone who likes Honda and loves the current Oddy. This is extremely awkward. The wheel size and proportions, the body lines, the stupid floating roof, the AWFUL face and even worse tail lights.

The rendering sketch was promising. This is just terrible.

They hid the door path so everyone else can stop complaining about that. But the rest is very disappointing.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
Wow. That is awful. This is coming from someone who likes Honda and loves the current Oddy. This is extremely awkward. The wheel size and proportions, the body lines, the stupid floating roof, the AWFUL face and even worse tail lights.

The rendering sketch was promising. This is just terrible.

They hid the door path so everyone else can stop complaining about that. But the rest is very disappointing.
Agreed.

This is terrible. And the interior is terrible as well...what's with these 'floating tablet' things that auto makers seem to adore now adays?!?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
what's with these 'floating tablet' things that auto makers seem to adore now adays?!?
Presumably the tablet up high is more ergonomically correct (so you don't have to drop your eyes as low to see the screen) and also allows the company to update the screen (esp in terms of size) more quickly w/o having to redesign the dashboard housing. I also imagine it opens up a lot of space in the dash and center console for cubbies and such (important in a car like this).

I personally don't mind it.

I don't get the side sculpting (it seems like what Mazda was doing 10 yrs ago), and the floating roof results in what appears to be a gigantic blind spot at the D-pillar. Otherwise, I find it quite inoffensive, and I imagine the intended audience will love it.

The thing looks HUGE, though. I wonder if there's a market for a mini-minivan? (prob not)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
The thing looks HUGE, though. I wonder if there's a market for a mini-minivan? (prob not)
Fun fact: the discontinued Mazda 5 is actually within an inch of the original 1984 Dodge Caravan in every dimension. Sadly, both it and the Kia Rondo flopped in the US.

Remember when Chevrolet showed the Orlando and Ford showed the Grand C-Max at the Chicago and Detroit Auto Shows, respectively? Yeah, after promising to introduce both, they ran them through customer clinics and discovered there was no market.

Anyway, this is fine, I guess, for a declining segment--not great, not terrible. It has the same awful nine-speed automatic as the Pacifica, though, which doesn't bode well for long-term reliability.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Anyway, this is fine, I guess, for a declining segment--not great, not terrible. It has the same awful nine-speed automatic as the Pacifica, though, which doesn't bode well for long-term reliability.
Huh--apparently, there's an optional 10-speed automatic on higher trim levels, developed in-house at Honda. Looks like they're already dumping the trouble-prone ZF unit.