Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 06:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road
Default BMW (Bimmer) 8-series Gran Coupe

::sigh:: More of zee Germans answering questions nobody was asking.

It looks very nice, although the Hoffmeister kink continues to get transformed into something progressively more unrecognizable.

Honestly, if someone had told me this was a new Acura flagship sedan, I would've believed it (grille aside).

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...pe-spy-photos/

Mods: can you add 2020 to the title? Sorry about that.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

I think this is actually looking really stellar. It irons out some of the awkwardness and iffy detailing (as it seems so far) that the coupe has. The rear 3/4 view is especially good.

The obvious question this is answering is the Panamera. All the other German luxury car makers have super sedans now (hell, Mercedes has two of them). Infiniti is even making one up. There is a legitimate segment to miss out on here...
Old 01-30-2019, 01:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

I thought they were keeping a 6 series gran coupe to go against the CLS and A7 and leaving the 8 series as a two door. Are they killing the 6 series completely?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
I thought they were keeping a 6 series gran coupe to go against the CLS and A7 and leaving the 8 series as a two door. Are they killing the 6 series completely?
https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2018-..._gran_turismo/

The 6 series name was now or will now be given to the unfortunate 5 series GT, a car basically also no one asked for, and mostly competing with a 8 series GC or a 5 series wagon (where sold). TO bad the - for many traditional - 6 series name now has to suffer on on what is probably the least attractive Bimmer out there...
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The 6 series name was now or will now be given to the unfortunate 5 series GT, a car basically also no one asked for, and mostly competing with a 8 series GC or a 5 series wagon (where sold). TO bad the - for many traditional - 6 series name now has to suffer on on what is probably the least attractive Bimmer out there...
Yeah, this is a shame. This really doesn't do the nameplate any justice. Even the bangle-butt 6-series is more attractive. I don't really get why they are keeping this and the 8-series Gran Coupe.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
Yeah, this is a shame. This really doesn't do the nameplate any justice. Even the bangle-butt 6-series is more attractive. I don't really get why they are keeping this and the 8-series Gran Coupe.
hopefully they'll add an AMG GT 4-door competitor and call it a 6 series. assuming the 8 series Gran coupe is priced above a 7 series, they're leaving a big hole in one of the only really hot sedan segments.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
The obvious question this is answering is the Panamera. All the other German luxury car makers have super sedans now (hell, Mercedes has two of them). Infiniti is even making one up. There is a legitimate segment to miss out on here...
You make a good point. I was randomly looking at a Tesla S parked on the street, and some aspects of the 8 very much look like an S. If this'll accommodate a variety of powerplants, you could also have a Tesla fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35
hopefully they'll add an AMG GT 4-door competitor and call it a 6 series. assuming the 8 series Gran coupe is priced above a 7 series, they're leaving a big hole in one of the only really hot sedan segments.
I haven't checked AMG prices, but isn't the 4-door pretty much priced at S-Class levels?

I've seen a surprising # of new CLS recently, but I don't know if BMW needs one. They have the 4-series gran coupe and the 6-series one was never a bigger seller (I assume). CLS is the "original," the A7 is probably the most practical.... Where does that leave BMW?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
You make a good point. I was randomly looking at a Tesla S parked on the street, and some aspects of the 8 very much look like an S. If this'll accommodate a variety of powerplants, you could also have a Tesla fighter.

I haven't checked AMG prices, but isn't the 4-door pretty much priced at S-Class levels?

I've seen a surprising # of new CLS recently, but I don't know if BMW needs one. They have the 4-series gran coupe and the 6-series one was never a bigger seller (I assume). CLS is the "original," the A7 is probably the most practical.... Where does that leave BMW?
from what i could find in a quick google the gran coupe easily outsold the coupe and convertible 6 series. A CLS starts at about $70k versus an 8 series coupe which is $112k (and assuming the 8 series gran coupe will be similarly priced). I guess the hole in the market is the CLS price segment, not the AMG-GT 4 door which I didn't realize was so expensive.