Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Very generic and very dull.
I have to agree. Like a watered down Mazda CX5 or sorts;

I think the current Escape does look really good, and certainly it's exterior design was a major selling point; I'm not sure that dulling down their most car like CUV after cancelling all cars is the right way to go....
Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
i'm more curious to see the interior (will it just mirror the new Focus or have its own design?) and how its Lincoln Corsair cousin turns out.
I assume it'll look a lot like the Focus. And, if that's the case, I think it would a vast improvement over the current gen Escape (which I think looked bad upon its debut and aged very quickly).
Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

I wonder if this isn't actually the new Escape, it looks too small. Maybe it's a new model slotting in between the EcoSport and Escape (like the Compass or Rogue Sport/Qashqai). That seems to be an emerging niche, but I can't remember if Ford was planning an entry or not.

Either way, it's pretty underwhelming. Take away the LED accents and it could be from 2006. I expect the interior will be just as uninspiring as the new Fiesta and Focus as well. Pretty amazing how recently Ford seemed to have their act together product-wise. I wonder if there's something in American business culture that prevents them from achieving consistency like the Japanese or even the Germans.

Last edited by SV; 01-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I wonder if this isn't actually the new Escape. It looks too small. Maybe it's a new model slotting in between the EcoSport and Escape (like the Cherokee or Rogue Sport/Qashqai). That seems to be an emerging niche, but I can't remember if Ford was planning an entry or not.
There are rumors of a Focus CUV in Europe, and it seems the Focus Active is not it; SO this could - in theory - be that, as I agree that it looks smaller than the current, more truckish (but IMO also more stylish) Escape/Kuga. Given how quickly that segment is growing (in Europe alone the Qashqai, T-ROc, Ateca etc. soon will likely be the most popular segment for non fleet customers), Ford would be dumb not to participate;

Then again, the new Focus looks IMO massive in flesh, like someone made a D or even E segment hatchback with the design features of a C segment car, or just upscaled it by one segment; Not unattractive, just at least a size bigger visually. SO this might still be the Escape, actually large, just looking like a smaller model on picture; I guess soon we will know though....
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

I;m a big fan of the current Escape, especially in top trims, this looks like very different car to me. Styling is definitely derived from the Focus, especially at the back. I agree with some concerns over this looking too much like a Mazda CX-5 or Hyundai Tuscon type of car, same way the new Focus looks less distinct this time around (again from the side and back mostly).

Having said that, i can definitely see this becoming a sales hit in most markets. If the quality is as good or better than the current crop of Mazdas and i suppose similar to the Focus itself and keenly priced i would consider this. Looking forward to seeing it undisguised. I also wonder if this is indeed an Escape replacement or a different model competing more directly with the aforementioned CX5 and Tiguan. The current Escape is larger, more competing with the RAV-4 and X-Trail i would think...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
....or a different model competing more directly with the aforementioned CX5 and Tiguan. The current Escape is larger, more competing with the RAV-4 and X-Trail i would think...
I'd say that the CX5 and Tiguan both compete with the Kuga/Escape directly (as with the X-Trail and RAV-4), and a Sub Escape model would compete with cars like the Qashqai, VW T-Roc or Toyota C-HR, or even the Mazda CX-3 (which feels so much more upscale thna the Eco Sport)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'd say that the CX5 and Tiguan both compete with the Kuga/Escape directly (as with the X-Trail and RAV-4), and a Sub Escape model would compete with cars like the Qashqai, VW T-Roc or Toyota C-HR, or even the Mazda CX-3 (which feels so much more upscale thna the Eco Sport)
+1. At least in the US, the CX-5, RAV4, and Escape are all w/I of each other in all dimensions (the US Tiguan is obviously a bit longer) and are all considered direct competitors.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Not a huge surprise (although I was hoping for a little bit of individuality), interior spied looking identical to the new Focus:

Hybrid indicated as well.

https://www.motor1.com/photo/3784985...ior-spy-photo/

Last edited by pjl35; 02-12-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Well hardly surprising, isn't it. And basically everyone does it, at least it eats less into the passenger room than the C-Max derived interior of the current Kuga. And, the "slightly bland and flat dash with an iPad on it" is the norm anyway nowadays, see any random new car recently (Fords, Hyundais, Skoda, Seat,....)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Looks like a lot of cheap plastic. This could be a serous miss-step for Escape...they're softening the exterior (now w/ a guppie face) - where as Rav is going more 'butch' and CRV is much more refined looking.