There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2015, 01:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2018 BMW X3 M (Bimmer)

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/fir...w-2018-x3.html

first pics of the next gen. expected in 2017 (though the prototype looks rather commplete for still being more than a yaer away. Based upon BMW's new modular CLAR platform, first seen in the new 7 series, and eventuella to underpin every front engine/RWD BMW at some point. THough, in the X3, with less carbon fiber.

ENgines should be the known 2l 4 cyl and 3l 6 cyl engines, most likely all turbos, and probably the 3 cyl. as entry level for Europe. Hybrids as well
Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

The kidneys are positioned with the upper position protruding, or so it seems. I like this, getting back to the classical design of the 70s and 80s BMW.

On a side note, i wonder how many cars is BMW developing in parallel. It's kinda normal, given their very wide range of models, but it makes me think that their engineering department must be two or three times the size of the generalist makers if not more.

Last edited by Reppu; 11-12-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
The kidneys are positioned with the upper position protruding, or so it seems. I like this, getting back to the classical design of the 70s and 80s BMW.

On a side note, i wonder how many cars is BMW developing in parallel. It's kinda normal, given their very wide range of models, but it makes me think that their engineering department must be two or three times the size of the generalist makers if not more.
Well, to a certain extent that's the benefit of platform strategy. They have in the long term planing only the UKL (Mini, 1&2 series), the CLAR for everything else and kind of skunk works for their EVs (i3, i8). Engines only one modular family (standardized cylinder of 500cc), as 3, 4 and 6 cylinder, the V8 and V12 are probably not much longer out there.

As such, they just need basically one team per platform, and the engine department has it's work load reduced greatly too. SO basically they can have constant updates and numerous niche vehicles opposed to makers, where many new models are more or less independent, and I think nowadays much oif the electric development (assist systems especially) are outsourced to companies like Bosch, Teves etc.

The not so nice side is that we end up with brands or whole corporations, where all cars feel the same (to me, most MQB cars drive the same, including the TT), and engines with not much character left....
Old 11-13-2015, 01:08 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The not so nice side is that we end up with brands or whole corporations, where all cars feel the same (to me, most MQB cars drive the same, including the TT), and engines with not much character left....
Yes, this. Maybe the reason why there's fewer CSS posts is because cars are becoming more... BORING. =(
Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Yes, this. Maybe the reason why there's fewer CSS posts is because cars are becoming more... BORING. =(
TVR is returning...that should be amusing
Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
TVR is returning...that should be amusing
I thought TVR were purchased by a Chinese manufacturer, but I guess I was wrong (after a quick Google search). Will have to do some reading about the company since I know virtually nothing about it.... Now we just need Fisker-Karma to make a comeback. ;)
Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I thought TVR were purchased by a Chinese manufacturer, but I guess I was wrong (after a quick Google search). Will have to do some reading about the company since I know virtually nothing about it.... Now we just need Fisker-Karma to make a comeback. ;)
Fisker needs to stay dead and buried and Tesla needs to join them;). We need more plastic, shouty things with Mustang engines under the hood.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/bmw...countdown.html

TEasers start the count down for the presentation of the new model, a lot of "official" prototype shots:

A lot more at the link. The real deal is expected for the IAA this autumn.

As usual, nothing earth shattering different (even though the current model really is showing it's age by now), but the double kidney grille is growing and growing in size. That, however, is not growing on me
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

From a french magazine, it feels like a photoshop for some reason. This is the high end M version, but the bumper design still feels rather busy in the front for a M version. Looking forward to seeing the standard version in next week's debut.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:45 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

BMW just can't get bumpers right imo. The detailing is always really obnoxious or out of place. Too many intakes and grilles, weird bulges. I'm glad they're finally getting rid of the dumb circle fog lamp tumors, but now it's overall too puffy and overworked.