Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 AM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
If you don't think the Toyota talk is appropriate, then why ask me about it (thus possibly perpetuating more off-topic conversation)? ::shrug::

The poster asked about visibility in the Mazda hatchback b/c I was at an auto show and saw the car. And I provided the poster w/ another car in the same class that might have better visibility and similar driving dynamics (which are much improved from its predecessor). The Toyota talk, to me, seemed appropriate b/c one advantage Mazdas have had is that they're much more fun to drive than the equivalent Toyota. If Toyota keeps improving their cars like this, that advantage will be erased (thus further eroding Mazda sales, IMO).

If the mods thinks my comments/opinions are way off topic, it's up to them to delete it or move it (and I would have no issue w/ that).
Calm down it was just a question lol, and I didnít see the clear connection, especially when the Camry got brought in. Never said mods needed to delete anything... chill.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Calm down it was just a question lol, and I didnít see the clear connection, especially when the Camry got brought in. Never said mods needed to delete anything... chill.
Har! No hard feelings.

The other part of it was that the Toyota area was literally RIGHT NEXT to the Mazda area, so it was very easy to connect the two in my mind. And I've been on a tear right now research cars (hence the Camry talk) b/c I need a new one unexpectedly (which IS totally off topic, so that's all I'm gonna say there....).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Pricing announced. Starts at $21,895.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/20...s-begin-march/

$3k more than the outgoing model. Almost $2500 more than the Civic. I love the new look, but damn, that pricing is outrageous. It's moving out of the economy sedan market and into the luxury market. Wonder how this will impact sales...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

IMO worth every penny over the Civic and comes with a ton of standard equipment.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
Pricing announced. Starts at $21,895.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/20...s-begin-march/

$3k more than the outgoing model. Almost $2500 more than the Civic. I love the new look, but damn, that pricing is outrageous. It's moving out of the economy sedan market and into the luxury market. Wonder how this will impact sales...
Probably their strategy.... price themselves between premium and mass market. Theyíre best in class handling, looks and with the right model, performance; kind of what Acura used to be. I think itís a good strategy.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:41 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Mazda will continue to implode. No one sees it at near-premium. The price increase is ill-advised.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Probably their strategy.... price themselves between premium and mass market. They’re best in class handling, looks and with the right model, performance; kind of what Acura used to be. I think it’s a good strategy.
We'll have to see. I like Mazda products but was put off by the lack of much of discount on their cars when I was in the market. The premium pricing won't help if they con't to offer very little discount (see what happened to the Honda Accord)....

Edit: just read that the top levels of the 3 will hit around $30,000. Even though their cars produce more power and are better equipped than the competition, I don't think the strategy will work well for them unless their 3 really is exponentially better every other car in the class....

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 01-24-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Using the $2,500 above current models equation...say, as a consumer you went into the dealership, and drove it - liked it, etc. Price was a factor for you - and they said hey, we'll knock $2,500 of the current list price - would that work for you?

So, the net result would be that you pay the full list price of the previous model - but you felt like you got a deal
Old 01-24-2019, 06:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Using the $2,500 above current models equation...say, as a consumer you went into the dealership, and drove it - liked it, etc. Price was a factor for you - and they said hey, we'll knock $2,500 of the current list price - would that work for you?

So, the net result would be that you pay the full list price of the previous model - but you felt like you got a deal
It really depends. The VW I just bought (year end) was 16% off MSRP, and I don't feel like I got a screaming deal (I was hoping for more at the end of the year but was also in a rush to buy a car). I got a Golf Sportwagen SE, the SELs ($30,000, just like the upper end of where the Mazda 3 will land) were easily going for 20%.

Is the Mazda *that* much nicer than a VW Golf in terms of perceived or initial quality (not in terms of long-term reliability, where I have no doubt Mazdas are, in general, better....) or driving dynamics? I actually don't know.

Additionally, I've been reading on a leasing forum that Mazda dealers were offering just a few hundred (let alone 10%) off of 2018 CX-5 at the year's end. The $38000 MSRP of a Signature CX-5 initially looks tempting until you realize that only a little more might put you in a stripped GLC300 or X3 b/c Mazda doesn't give much of discount and the leases tend to stink (relative to MB or BMW).

So I wonder if the same will hold true for the Mazda 3. Yeah, the highest trim will give you more than the upcoming A-Class for a lot less in terms of MSRP, but if the actual transaction prices aren't that far off (esp for leases), I suspect Mazda is going to end up the loser to the perceived prestige of an MB or BMW (esp if they haven't ironed out the NVH issues from the last gen).

I mean, honestly, aside from Toyota/Lexus, what Japanese brand has done well going upmarket?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

all very valid points. Acura DID well - but lost themselves. Infiniti is decent - but an also ran for sales.

I think for Mazda, it'll all come down to marketing (and not just TV advertising)....
- Dealerships need to look like 'near premium' - not used car lots (which in the US, that's what they look like from what I'd seen) and they're not much better in Canada (admittedly, I've not been in one in 3 years).
- Sales staff; at Mazda - they're useless. ABSOLUTELY USELESS. Not once did any of the Mazda dealerships call me back when we were shopping for my wifes replacement car. When I was buying, only 2 of the three called me back. They're product knowledge apparently consists of reading a tagline of a poster.
- In Canada, they offer a lifetime warranty (AWESOME deal!) - but it's barely called out, anywhere.
- Yes, TV is needed.

So, now that I've typed it all out - maybe the strategy is right, but execution will be abysmal - so you might be right in your prediction