Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 02:05 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

The Rolls Royce initial (production-close) concept of the Phantom Drophead Coupe had a V16 under the long hood/bonnet, but the production has a V12 from the Phantom sedan, as well as the Fixed-head Coupe. The concept Drophead is virtually identical to the production model, so a V16 could very likely and easily fit into that space, including the Phantom sedan. Perhaps work was progressing on a V16 (to eventually succeed the V12 in the Phantom range) within Rolls Royce and it could have been indirectly previewed in the Drophead concept. Also, if the production 200EX (which should be identical to the just-debuted concept) is to have a new V12 under it's hood, it would be a newer, more powerful and advanced unit than the one currently in the Phantom range, which slots above it. Therefore, the Phantom will have to trump the 200EX, therefore justifying the V16, and the Rolls Royces are such low-volume, exclusive models, that it won't affect any MPG averages much at all, and fuel mileage is the last, or no concern of the Rolls Royce buyer, as it is, or anything of it's peers!

The V12, which is to be used in the 200EX, will also likely be in the top-range BMW 7-Series (not counting the Alpina B7), and I've seen a report somewhere that it's supposed to debut later in the year, if I'm not mistaking. Perhaps the 7-Series would be the only BMW to sport the V12, unless it's offered in a Z8-type halo-car successor, if that's in development, of a high-end version of a GT6, which I only recently heard about but I don't know a great deal of, and it's described in a couple of posts before this one. Do you know anything of the BMW GT6 under development, which is based apparently on a next-generation 6-Series, and is the a reason why the CS was stopped?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 AM
CSS Veteran

Yes, as rumors suggest that the new V-16 are well under way and this will be a great move if you ask any one that is a fan of the modern Rolls-Royce. The new V-16 will have roughly 600 BHP, and roughly 732 lbs. feet of torque. Also in early talks Rolls-Royce have plans for a 2 seat large GT cabriolet, that will be powered by a V-16, this model will use a aluminum spaceframe, and will be priced above all other models.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLAREN P_10 View Post
Yes, as rumors suggest that the new V-16 are well under way and this will be a great move if you ask any one that is a fan of the modern Rolls-Royce. The new V-16 will have roughly 600 BHP, and roughly 732 lbs. feet of torque. Also in early talks Rolls-Royce have plans for a 2 seat large GT cabriolet, that will be powered by a V-16, this model will use a aluminum spaceframe, and will be priced above all other models.
Oy vey Santa Madre de Jesus protejanos de locura!

A V16? How about a HYBRID instead??? Why doesn't BMW just dive into the idiocy with both feet and slam two V12s together and issue a V24??
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

This is what BMW insiders tell us about BMW GT6:

"So ... in the end it may end up as smaller CS with small-ish suicide rear doors ala Clubman ... also without B-pillar ... and Shooting-Brake-ish rear."

I donīt like it very much but...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM

Another concept from Lagonda soon. I just hope it isn't another SUV
Second Lagonda concept coming in May
Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
Another concept from Lagonda soon. I just hope it isn't another SUV
Second Lagonda concept coming in May
Excellent find and posting, asrapid, thank you for doing this.

It had been covered in this thread, in postings pertaining to the upcoming/reborn Lagonda, that more than one model/concept will debut. This first one, a crossover/SUV of sorts, did throw some off-guard, including me (many, including me, were expecting a sedan/saloon), even though I'm appreciating this more as time goes on and understanding that Lagonda has more of an intent to be avant-garde. Also, as the article in the link you had posted, Lagonda does not want to go within the 4-door coupe foray due to the upcoming Aston-Martin Rapide being the company's entry (Lagonda is to take a vastly different direction than Aston-Martin, further warranting Lagonda being resurrected), thus justifying the crossover SUV that we saw. I'm feeling that the reported upcoming Lagonda concept for May could be a stately sedan/saloon-type, much larger than the crossover model debuting in Geneva, perhaps to compete in the arena with the Phantom and next-generation Arnarge. This upcoming concept could be a model this could share underpinnings with the next-generation Maybach 57 & 62, made possible via cooperation efforts of Project Romeo & Juliet, but of course have a much different design, styling and persona than the Maybach.

What's mentioned above is my personal take on this; MCLAREN's sources could have accurate information which he could post later on. MCLAREN may still be in Geneva as of this posting.

Here's another report which surfaced today (3/12/09) regarding the next-generation Bentley Arnarge - the availability of the powerful Audi-sourced V12 Diesel! This is an excellent power-plant addition, and I hope it's also offered in the USDM - the article link is posted below:

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/next-bent...diesel-engine/
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
CSS Veteran

What you say is true about Lagonda planning a second concept already, this model is slated to be revealed in May, but there is no autoshow in May, so this leads me to believe that Lagonda will reveal this concept on i's own. My sources suggest that it will be a S-Class based model with traditional Lagonda styling, but with plenty of elegence as well as performence. It will be powered by a twin-turbo 6.05 liter V-12 producing as much as 640 BHP, this engine will be taken from the Maybach 57 Zeppelin.

In September Bugatti will reveal there plans for the future, my sources suggest that Bugatti will reveal the Aerolithe Concept at Frankfurt. Also in the planning stages are final Special Edition Veyron that will possibly be revealed first in August at Pebble Beach. There are currently no plans for a cheaper Bugatti, so the plan is now that the Aerolithe will be priced very close to the Veyron, with roughly the same numbers being produced. So we can almost certainly expect to see a Bugatti Concept in Fra.nkfurt

Last edited by MCLAREN P_10; 03-12-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLAREN P_10 View Post
In September Bugatti will reveal there plans for the future, my sources suggest that Bugatti will reveal the Aerolithe Concept at Frankfurt. Also in the planning stages are final Special Edition Veyron that will possibly be revealed first in August at Pebble Beach. There are currently no plans for a cheaper Bugatti, so the plan is now that the Aerolithe will be priced very close to the Veyron, with roughly the same numbers being produced. So we can almost certainly expect to see a Bugatti Concept in Fra.nkfurt
A report surfaced in www.motorauthority.com pertaining to the Bugatti news/plans, and I could believe that the Aerolithe, at least in (production-close) concept-guise could appear in Frankfurt. What about the upcoming, and talked about Royale sedan? When can we expect to hear more, or even see a debut, perhaps a production-close concept on the uber 4-door coupe/sedan?

Also, going back to the Lagonda, which is likely to unveil it's next concept on it's own, in May - wouldn't this also be the case for Tesla, for unveiling the upcoming Tesla S sedan? Tesla is supposed to unveil the S sedan at the end of this month (March '09), that's on it's own, as well. A couple of teasers have surfaced as well as a couple of speculative renderings of the anticipated Tesla S sedan.

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 03-12-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Additional material and a typo
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 AM
CSS Veteran

Bugatti could actually show the Royale 4 door coupe saloon at Pebble Beach, in which time this would be he best chance to see Bugatti's Type 40 Royale and the new Royale side by side. This concept will be very close to production ready and with good reason so that Bugatti can start taking orders upon the reveal. The Aerolithe is a great idea and my sources suggest that the cars styling will be unique to it, and will showcase a new design language for future Bugatti. This model will be alot lighter then the Veyon thanks to the fact the cars aerodynamics will play a major part in it's styling.

Tesla's S will be shown by Tesla alone, with this model be shown again at the New York Autoshow also.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

If the upcoming Royale sedan/saloon appears at the Pebble Beach Concour d'Elegance, that would truly be excellent, and a plus to be side-by-side with the original Royale! I just looked it up, and the Pebble Beach Concours is toward mid-August, and a month or so before Frankfurt and Bugatti's revealing what's planned for the future.

The Tesla S being shown at the New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) will also be a plus, after the initial unveiling later this month, and this display would make perfect sense, all the more to look forward to NYIAS! The New York Auto Show is the only one which I can personally attend, and I do attend more than once to catch what I didn't get to see enough of the first time around, and up-close and personal. In recent years, NYIAS has been getting more significant premieres.

The same can be said for the Concour d'Elegance, which there are many help globally - the only ones I get to attend are the Greenwich CT event and sometimes the Eastern USA Concour d'Elegance in Eastern PA - the Greenwich CT event being higher profile and sometimes holding debuts. There used to be a nice one in Rockefeller Center in mid-town Manhattan, NY, the Louis Vuitton Concour d'Elegance, but that even is no longer held, another one I frequented.